Food and recipes

Red velvet cookies

Hello! I had posted on here that I was making red velvet cookies for my roommates last week and someone had asked to post a recipe, so I'm going to do just that!

Unfortunately it's not my own recipe, but you can easily find it online from Sally's Baking Addiction (love her recipes!). This recipe is specifically red velvet chocolate chip cookies, but I didn't add in chocolate chips. If anyone else wants to add or take out anything, feel free. This recipe makes about 18 cookies so you can add to this to make as many as you want.

1 1/2 cups and 1 tablespoon (200g) all purpose flour
1/4 cup (21g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (115g0 unsalted butter that's room temperature
3/4 cup (150g) packed light or dark brown sugar (this is super important!)
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
1 large egg at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk (I used regular 2% but the original recipe used buttermilk)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon red gel food coloring

Again, I didn't use chocolate chips, but the recipe used 1 cup (180g) semi sweet chocolate chips.

Preheat your oven to 350F (177C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt) in a large bowl and set aside.

Use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or handheld (I used a stand) and beat the butter on high until creamy (should take about a minute). Scrape the sides and the bottom. Beat in the brown sugar and granulated sugar until creamy and combined (should also take about a minute). Beat in the egg, vanilla, and milk, scraping the sides and the bottom as needed.

Once that's mixed, add in the food coloring and beat until it's combined. Turn off the mixer and pour in the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer on slow (like verrrry sloooowly) and slowly beat until a soft dough is formed. If you want the dough/cookies to be a brighter color, you can also beat in more food coloring if you'd like. If you're using chocolate chips, this is when you would beat in the chocolate chips on low speed. The dough will be sticky at this point.

Cover and chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least two hours and up to three days. It's worth the wait, I promise. If you're chilling it for longer than a couple hours, allow it to sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before rolling and baking it because the dough will be hard.

Scoop 1.5 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Put nine balls onto each of the two baking sheets. Bake each batch for 13 minutes. It's okay if they don't spread out a lot. You can press down on them to make them slightly flat which forms crinkles. You can do that for looks or not at all. If you'd like, you can also stick a couple more chocolate chips into the tops of the cookies while they're still warm.

Cool them on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool completely. Or not, because that's personal preference.

My roommates and I loved them!
3 years