General

Is this reasonable? an explanation of how i'm looking for noone

I like talking about relationships, so I'll share my experiences and thoughts.

I think each person's definition of love is precious to themselves and shouldn't be beholden to other people's criticism, especially if that definition doesn't violate another's freedoms. Independence, tempered by compassion for others, is important to me.

Indeed, you touch on something important in relationships as I've come to know them, which is that each person is ultimately responsible for their own happiness. People who are dependent on others for their happiness will feel their relationship is unstable and act in desperate and unhealthy ways to fix perceived faults.

It's when people are independently happy that they are able to have a stable relationship, because they aren't just deriving happiness from their partner; both partners are sharing in each other's happiness and experiences, and each comes away having grown as a person.

For me, love is about sharing. Sharing touch, sharing experiences, sharing minds, and, as a polyamorous person, sharing love. On the last point, there is a unique joy to knowing that my first partner sees me as their rock, a stable relationship they can return to when other relationships' triumphs and turmoils threaten to overwhelm.

Simultaneously, I feel security and gratitude when one partner is excited to know how happy the other partner makes me; it's delightful to feel love without insurmountable jealousies that arise from possessiveness.

Openness to a variety of relationships with a variety of people is a core of my philosophy of ENM, and in a way I think this is another side to "looking for noone." To me, seeking an "ideal" partner, to the exclusion of all "lesser" relationships, is fruitless and unhappy. That isn't to say I have no preferences or desires I still want fulfilled; but those are merely the introductory attractions to the full relationships I seek.
1 year

RobbyP:
A defintion of love which makes sense to me is a willingness to include. This is because it shouldn't require a particular action- if it did, then a mute quadroplegic would be necessarily incapable of it, which is untrue.

Since existence is right here every moment, it is impossible to not include everything. One can deny it, but that's not being straight with oneself.

Story of the past- it may be uncomfortable to read. If it were a movie, it'd be rated pg-13.

3 years ago I was on a long trip, and the person who promised to watch after my cats neglected them terribly, to the point of visible slime growing in their water. I regret not requiring regular photos. Now, my actions are focused on the cats' wellbeing first. One who constantly, or even regularly, demands my attention or action will not work with me. Nor will one who moves around my belongings at a whim.

Beauty seen from afar works well enough

There are many different kinds of love: romantic, platonic, familial, etc. But the one thing they all have in common is that, when you love something, you are choosing to view that person with importance and respect. Love isn't about those happy fuzzy feelings you have for someone because you won't always feel those feelings. If you love someone, you'll still love then when things aren't sunshine and rainbows.

That being said, if you don't want to be in a romantic relationship, you don't have to be. You can be happy and fulfilled without one.
1 year

The definition of love is one of my favorite topics so allow me to jump on that boat as well.

Just a warning, I've never been into a serious relationship so far. I also understand that my view might seem to be very extreme in this neoliberal (for the most part i assume) enviroment.

What is love? The answer is that it's a feeling we've developed as a *social* pieces (thats important because not all animals... love the same) because it helped us survive. It's in our *human nature*! It's also important to note that this is not catholic, it's not apsolute.

Okay but how do i Vew it? Well, i think it's a human need. For example, and I'll use myself, I can't function properly without being loved. I really need someone to care for me and give me some attention. But it's not something i only wanna receive, but something i also feel the need, like i have a duty, to give back. And not in just one person. I have a very bad time lately, because i cant bring myself to enjoy anything that is not helping other people. I need, i really need to make people's lives better and in fact im disgusted by how, in our college, the way they teach us that subject is disconnected from making something for other *human beings* but exclusively something to provide us with profits!

And love should not be seen like something that people get because they deserve it, but because they need it. And for that, im trying to do my best at, attempting at least, to feel love about *everyone*. Im failing miserably now, but i think it's the way forward.
Btw i hope i wrote my points well and please... Pleeease criticize it if you have the time. I litteraly beg you, unironicaly, to comment on it!
1 year

Enas:
The definition of love is one of my favorite topics so allow me to jump on that boat as well.

Just a warning, I've never been into a serious relationship so far. I also understand that my view might seem to be very extreme in this neoliberal (for the most part i assume) enviroment.

What is love? The answer is that it's a feeling we've developed as a *social* pieces (thats important because not all animals... love the same) because it helped us survive. It's in our *human nature*! It's also important to note that this is not catholic, it's not apsolute.

Okay but how do i Vew it? Well, i think it's a human need. For example, and I'll use myself, I can't function properly without being loved. I really need someone to care for me and give me some attention. But it's not something i only wanna receive, but something i also feel the need, like i have a duty, to give back. And not in just one person. I have a very bad time lately, because i cant bring myself to enjoy anything that is not helping other people. I need, i really need to make people's lives better and in fact im disgusted by how, in our college, the way they teach us that subject is disconnected from making something for other *human beings* but exclusively something to provide us with profits!

And love should not be seen like something that people get because they deserve it, but because they need it. And for that, im trying to do my best at, attempting at least, to feel love about *everyone*. Im failing miserably now, but i think it's the way forward.
Btw i hope i wrote my points well and please... Pleeease criticize it if you have the time. I litteraly beg you, unironicaly, to comment on it!

Neoliberalism and love have nothing to do with each other. Neoliberalism is a political approach that favors free-market capitalism, deregulation, and reduction in government spending. For example, crypto.
1 year

Enas:

Talk of duty reminds me of hard lessons.

I used to have an unhealthily self-sacrificing attitude toward even casual acquaintances. It took a long time to realize that I couldn't please everyone, and it wasn't my responsibility to read minds or predict people's desires.

I adore helping people still. I love giving gifts, and part of my attraction to being a feeder comes from the desire to spoil and nurture someone's growth and happiness.

And perhaps almost everyone needs love, or even deserves it--but it took me too long to realize that it was okay for me to not be the one to provide that love, or helpfulness, or even kindness.

I am human. I make mistakes. I am limited. To say otherwise is deluded or arrogant. And so I accept that some people's needs and desires are beyond my capability to provide--and it might always be so despite the possibility for growth on my part. I may try--if I feel I will find joy in the effort--but I will not see it as a failing if I cannot reach those heights.

To recognize these limitations and to accept them is part of a very important kind of love: self-love. To then set those expectations and boundaries based on what you can provide is a furthering of self-love as well as a means of showing compassion and openness to others. To do so requires vulnerability, and its reward is a greater understanding on everyone's part of what is realistically possible in a given situation. An empty promise of absolute devotion is only worth as much as wind. Better to make promises you can keep to those who will truly appreciate what humble gifts you can give.
1 year

Enas:

RobbyP:
One only tells themselves that something is a duty when they fear the possible consequences of not doing it, but won't admit or haven't seen that. Better to be honest with oneself and to trade fear for reason and perception. Our capabilities are limited, so there's no shame in being incorrect. Our minds are our tools, not our commanders. As social beings, it's healthy for us to talk to unabusive people in person at least once a week.

Perhaps duty is not the best word i could have used. What im basically saying is that i understand that other people have this need of being loved, and i want to (let's say) help with that, because that's something meaningful to me. And yes, of course we're limited and it's when we hit those limits that we progress, because then we push them even further!
1 year

Enas:

Munchies:
Neoliberalism and love have nothing to do with each other. Neoliberalism is a political approach that favors free-market capitalism, deregulation, and reduction in government spending. For example, crypto.

For starters Neoliberalism is not *just* a political approach, but an ideology, or at least a brand of the Liberal ideology. This btw does contain that design, if you'd like, for how our socioeconomic structure should be.
I don't understand how you come up to the conclusion that these things have nothing to do with each other, they definitely influence each other. There is certainly a link between these two just like any other two things. the question is how strong this link is!

And here's something that you might find interesting. It's a paper that talks about the psychology of neoliberalism:
web.stanford.edu/~hazelm/publications/2019%20Adams%20et%20al%20The%20psychology%20of%20neoliberalism.pdf

(and i hope i dont get banned for talking about how love is influenced by this just like I was banned for talking about politics, im just trying to explain my point in a bit more depth...)
1 year

Enas:

PolyPinoyPuppy:
Talk of duty reminds me of hard lessons.

I used to have an unhealthily self-sacrificing attitude toward even casual acquaintances. It took a long time to realize that I couldn't please everyone, and it wasn't my responsibility to read minds or predict people's desires.

I adore helping people still. I love giving gifts, and part of my attraction to being a feeder comes from the desire to spoil and nurture someone's growth and happiness.

And perhaps almost everyone needs love, or even deserves it--but it took me too long to realize that it was okay for me to not be the one to provide that love, or helpfulness, or even kindness.

I am human. I make mistakes. I am limited. To say otherwise is deluded or arrogant. And so I accept that some people's needs and desires are beyond my capability to provide--and it might always be so despite the possibility for growth on my part. I may try--if I feel I will find joy in the effort--but I will not see it as a failing if I cannot reach those heights.

To recognize these limitations and to accept them is part of a very important kind of love: self-love. To then set those expectations and boundaries based on what you can provide is a furthering of self-love as well as a means of showing compassion and openness to others. To do so requires vulnerability, and its reward is a greater understanding on everyone's part of what is realistically possible in a given situation. An empty promise of absolute devotion is only worth as much as wind. Better to make promises you can keep to those who will truly appreciate what humble gifts you can give.

I strongly agree with a chunk of what you're saying here. I think that it whould be very unhealthy to have an absolute devotion to any one person. However we're not talking about the same thing i belive. Your point of view feels especially individualized. I'm not in that page. I think that love *could* be the driving force of humanity (people think that "it doesn't work"smiley And for me, love is not only between two individuals, altho what you feel there IS love! But love is also what pushes us to do good things and most importantly, take care of other people.

What i disagree strongly with is self-love. In my judgement it's apsolutely toxic and it's a product of what i tried to explain in my previous reply. I won't follow it one bit, however that doesn't mean that everything is fine, quite the opposite. If everything was fine there whould be no space for self-love to be useful for.

We live in a dystopia. The worst one we've ever come up with.
1 year

Idk why FF decided to put the emoji there it kind of ruins my hole reply 🤣
1 year

Oh, Enas. All these words, and I'm not convinced you truly understand what you're saying.
1 year
12   loading