Lifestyle tips

Handling upset stomach

I feel very frustrated because I want to start gaining again, but every time I eat even a little more than normal, I have been getting horribly sick to my stomach and unable to eat much of anything the next day - sometimes without even hitting my calorie maintenance requirement on the day I was trying to stuff because I get sick. This has always been a little bit of a problem for me but usually not so severe, and now it’s become unmanageable. I don’t have any specific food intolerances that could be causing it but I do have IBS, and what’s especially been triggering it is fat or protein - even in very small amounts, like a couple slices of lunch meat or a glass of milk, which has made it not only difficult to gain but also extremely difficult to keep a balanced diet or even live my life since I’m always sick in the bathroom. Has anyone else struggled with this? What did you do to make it stop? The only thing that seems to help calm my stomach down temporarily is heavily restricting how much I eat down to almost starvation levels, and that not only makes gaining impossible but is also extremely unhealthy and risks causing me a relapse in my eating disorder, so I wish I had a different solution.
1 year

Handling upset stomach

Finickyfeedee:
I feel very frustrated because I want to start gaining again, but every time I eat even a little more than normal, I have been getting horribly sick to my stomach and unable to eat much of anything the next day - sometimes without even hitting my calorie maintenance requirement on the day I was trying to stuff because I get sick. This has always been a little bit of a problem for me but usually not so severe, and now it’s become unmanageable. I don’t have any specific food intolerances that could be causing it but I do have IBS, and what’s especially been triggering it is fat or protein - even in very small amounts, like a couple slices of lunch meat or a glass of milk, which has made it not only difficult to gain but also extremely difficult to keep a balanced diet or even live my life since I’m always sick in the bathroom. Has anyone else struggled with this? What did you do to make it stop? The only thing that seems to help calm my stomach down temporarily is heavily restricting how much I eat down to almost starvation levels, and that not only makes gaining impossible but is also extremely unhealthy and risks causing me a relapse in my eating disorder, so I wish I had a different solution.

Have you sought medical attention?
1 year

Handling upset stomach

You should try eating slower, and also attempt to eat more times instead of big meals throughout the day. You’re probably tryin to stuff to much in to quickly and it’s causing your stomach to go “what the fuck”

But yeah, I’d see a doctor - could be a serious thing. Especially if you got the IBS
1 year

Handling upset stomach

Finickyfeedee:

Munchies:

Yeah, I have - 4 different doctors, actually, over a period of several years. Every time they’ve done a bunch of tests, not found anything, and then said something along the lines of “I don’t know, I guess it’s just IBS.” It’s flaring up worse than usual recently, but it’s been an ongoing issue for most of my life and even this level of flareup isn’t unprecedented.
1 year

Handling upset stomach

Finickyfeedee:

Munchies:

Finickyfeedee:
Yeah, I have - 4 different doctors, actually, over a period of several years. Every time they’ve done a bunch of tests, not found anything, and then said something along the lines of “I don’t know, I guess it’s just IBS.” It’s flaring up worse than usual recently, but it’s been an ongoing issue for most of my life and even this level of flareup isn’t unprecedented.

Even if it is just IBS, couldn't get to get help managing the symptoms.
1 year