Gaining

Getting fat in middle age

Keen to hear from people who gave in to their desires in middle age.

I’m in my mid forties. I’ve hovered around 235lbs since COVID, with occasional indulgent growth spurts, followed by dieting and cardio. A classic yoyo dieter I guess.

I feel like I’m at a crossroads, however, and that I really need to commit to one set of priorities or the other. Either I put everything into the strength and fitness basket, and enjoy a ripped late-forties, or I give in completely to that constant nagging voice, and get fat.

Has anyone else waited until middle age to let go?
1 month

I’m going through the same thing right now!! I am currently 40 and about 185 at 5’10 and lift and strength train 5 days a week. But I’ve always been into the kink. I always thought of myself as a feeder,FA or encourager. But I’ve always had a want to gain. I’m still having trouble excepting my own feelings. Mostly from internal obeasaphobia and our fat phobic society. But I also want to be free and honest with myself.
1 month

HanSelo:

I’m in my mid forties. I’ve hovered around 235lbs since COVID, with occasional indulgent growth spurts, followed by dieting and cardio. A classic yoyo dieter I guess.

I feel like I’m at a crossroads, however, and that I really need to commit to one set of priorities or the other. Either I put everything into the strength and fitness basket, and enjoy a ripped late-forties, or I give in completely to that constant nagging voice, and get fat.

Since you can't decide which way to go, why not do both. I've seen plenty of pics here and elswhere of guys who have a bigger gut, but it's obvious they are still working out with the weights, judging by their arms and chests. I mean you wouldn't have the ripped look of a pure bodybuilder, but you'd have plenty of bulk. The best of both worlds really. Just a thought. Good luck.
1 month

There are many factors, so I don't know what you should do.

But note: 1.) the older you get, the less anyone gives a damn about what you do; 2. middle-aged people tend to be fatter than young ones anyway.

So there will be less societal pushback than there would have been if you'd gotten fat young.
1 month

“Middle-age spread” is a thing and basically expected and accepted in our society.

There’s no such thing as “teenage spread”.

You’ve gotten to the age when your metabolism just naturally slows down.

Just enjoy life and good food, and let nature do her handiwork.
1 month

It’s become more and more acceptable in society for weight to fluctuate for people of all ages.

But an important thing to remember is that while yes the attitude has gotten better not everyone considers a 20-25 lb weight funny or cute and symptomatic of a failing health care system
1 month

HanSelo:

Fatluvinguy:
Since you can't decide which way to go, why not do both. I've seen plenty of pics here and elswhere of guys who have a bigger gut, but it's obvious they are still working out with the weights, judging by their arms and chests. I mean you wouldn't have the ripped look of a pure bodybuilder, but you'd have plenty of bulk. The best of both worlds really. Just a thought. Good luck.

Seconding what Fatluvinguy said here. Big muscles AND big gut? That’s perfection.
1 month

HanSelo:

Fatluvinguy:

AnorexicPretty:
Seconding what Fatluvinguy said here. Big muscles AND big gut? That’s perfection.

My muscles aren’t huge but neither is my gut. But I do feel better about my looks having some muscle as I fatten up.

Perfection? I’m not there.

Not yet.
1 month

GrowingLoveHandles:
“Middle-age spread” is a thing and basically expected and accepted in our society.

There’s no such thing as “teenage spread”.

You’ve gotten to the age when your metabolism just naturally slows down.

Just enjoy life and good food, and let nature do her handiwork.

I've gained thirty or so pounds over the last few years. I'm seventy now, I think it is expected that older you get, not only is it easier to gain, but you're "supposed too" gain.

I was in the military reserves for over twenty five years and had to watch my weight. The older I got the harder it was to meet the standard, though the standards were adjusted for age.

So, of course, when I retired I started to indulge, not totally gorging myself, but eating more and higher calorie foods.

I'm now hovering between 235 lbs. and 240 lbs. at 5'11" in height, so clinically obese.

My wife hasn't mentioned my increased weight, which I do nothing to hide from her. She is obese too.

My only concern, really is how fat do I want to be?
1 month

I did an internship in my career field when I was 22, and one of the Sr. Directors turned 40 during the summer I was there. She was average height and slender, and I remember she always brought salads and she would put on walking shoes with her business clothes and go walking at lunch.

On social media, she usually posts heavily edited headshots from a downward looking angle. Most of her candids are pictures of her children, which i presume she takes because she's not in them. However, last week, she was tagged in photos from a conference where she was a speaker. The pictures revealed a very full figure, a big ample belly, a tight blouse hugging a belly roll, and a round face and generous double chin. She was the fattest person in all the group photos, at least 300 pounds. Such a change from the svelte woman I interned for. She'd be 48 now, and it's amazing what a decade can do to a body!
1 month
12   loading