General

Low libido from antidepressants

Has anyone found a great deal of enjoyment and even meaning from their kink, only to have most of it taken away from them by a suddenly low libido? I started antidepressants a few months ago and my libido took a complete nose dive, but the meds helped so much with everything else in my life that I don't want to consider tempting fate by switching them out.
1 month

I’m on bupropion, busprione and lamotrigine for bipolar depression; metoprolol for blood pressure; and oxycodone and pregabalin for chronic back pain (failed lumbar fusion surgery).

So yeah, they’re messing with my libido and ability to have an orgasm. And I’ll be straight up honest, this kink/fetish is very erotic and a big turn on for me. I love imagining myself getting and being fatter when I masturbate but achieving orgasm is difficult because of the meds. Even in the shower playing with my fat and my fantasies it can take forever to orgasm and ejaculate. I think this is very common.
1 month

You’re not alone!
I’m bipolar and on seraquel and lamotrigine. I’m also on an anti-anxiety med. It definitely affects my libido so I have to take advantage of when my hormones are high before my period. It also comes at the weirdest times and not often when I want to be with my partner.

My husband is on hypertension and anti-anxiety meds and understands the libido thing a lot better now since it does affect him as well.
1 month

Definitely not alone. If you can, talk to your doctor, maybe something can be adjusted med wise to help. I hope they can help. smiley
It can be hard to deal with sometimes because it can make you think you can't connect with people any more because of the lack of certain feelings. Just my experience with it. I am bipolar2, and my meds have fked with my libido for years. It can also be hard to talk about, especially when you like someone. How would you say, "I do like you in the brain and in the heart but my chacha shut the door." LOL. *bad joke, sorry, lol*
1 month

Squishie:
'How would you say, "I do like you in the brain and in the heart but my chacha shut the door." LOL. *bad joke, sorry, lol*

Ha!

Also throwing in a vote of empathy. One of my partners suffered from anxiety and was on a med that helped her a LOT but numbed her libido. We talked a lot about it, but we both agreed that the meds were too helpful in her overall quality of life to go off of them.

Her doctor and therapist were both great in listening to her and helping her with this, and we worked together to focus on adjusting foreplay and ways to adjust intimacy.

I know it must be frustrating, but it's definitely common and you're not alone. Talk to your doc and see how you can stay on a medication that is helping you, or see if there are any alternative options that might also bring you positive effect.
1 month