General

Uncomfortable when people talk weight

Does anybody else around here feel deeply uncomfortable when people discuss weight around them? I feel like it’s not a very reasonable response but I have to physically remove myself from any space where weight is being talked about lest I get irritable or just really uneasy.
I hate it when people talk about weight loss and gain and things like dieting but realistically people talk about these things so it’s an issue I need to deal with. Does anybody else experience this or have any advice??
2 days

I have the same issue! Especially as its so normalised. I was watching a video about someone preparing for their wedding and the first half was so sweet and the second half was literally a barrage of abuse at herself about how she needed to loose weight and go to the gym before getting married and it was so triggering. Or people say comments like if you mention you're going on holiday, they'll say, are you going to get bikini ready and I'm like, I'm already bikini ready!!

It's very strange and I agree makes me super uneasy as well.
2 days

I am not a big fan either. I find diet talk annoying, even when it’s not directed at me (which it normally isn’t). And it’s really kind of sad when people who are barely overweight put themselves down and talk about themselves like they are deeply flawed and/or sick just because they are chubby.
2 days

Bigdoug:
I am not a big fan either. I find diet talk annoying, even when it’s not directed at me (which it normally isn’t). And it’s really kind of sad when people who are barely overweight put themselves down and talk about themselves like they are deeply flawed and/or sick just because they are chubby.

Yeah it is annoying I agree.
2 days

The unsolicited diet advice is really silly, like as if it’s just poor choices sometimes lol, like mfer I had 2 large pizzas for dinner last night

I just don’t let it bother me if it’s directed at me these days but if it’s just the topic of conversation I like steering the conversation to about food/ things people miss while dieting etc
2 days

I think at some point, I got so fat people knew darn well I wasn't going to take diet advice, and they gave up. 🤣
2 days

Faust:
Does anybody else around here feel deeply uncomfortable when people discuss weight around them? I feel like it’s not a very reasonable response but I have to physically remove myself from any space where weight is being talked about lest I get irritable or just really uneasy.
I hate it when people talk about weight loss and gain and things like dieting but realistically people talk about these things so it’s an issue I need to deal with. Does anybody else experience this or have any advice??

I am more just quietly amused. Especially the stick figure thinking she is getting fat
1 day

Want2BForced:
I am more just quietly amused. Especially the stick figure thinking she is getting fat

i find it particularly funny when i am with average-sized co-workers or casual acquaintances who do this, while i am sitting right there in front of them lol!
1 day

I'm kind of the opposite - I get totally engaged when people start talking about weight.

I feel like it's my natural response to try to share the notion of radical body acceptance.

I try to be careful not to overdo it, but I'll try to contribute a note about accepting the bodies that we are in, or even better - how some people actually prefer fatter bodies to thin ones.
1 day

Kacchan:
I'm kind of the opposite - I get totally engaged when people start talking about weight.

I feel like it's my natural response to try to share the notion of radical body acceptance.

I try to be careful not to overdo it, but I'll try to contribute a note about accepting the bodies that we are in, or even better - how some people actually prefer fatter bodies to thin ones.

100% I’m just aware of my audience so to speak body positivity doesn’t fly with everyone even if they are big eater and kinda a foodie (normie foodie not like a foodie foodie)
1 day
12   loading