Lifestyle tips

Explaining why im putting weight on to my loved ones.

Ditzy:
My question is :
Why do you think you "owe" them an explanation?
Its really none of their business isn't it?
You wouldn't go around calling attention if one of them put on weight would you?

Seems these days people feel the need to "come out" about almost anything.
Are they searching for acceptance or something else?
I never understood that mind set I just did what I felt I needed to do for my reasons not someone else.
What I do is my business not friends or family.
If its a spouse then I can see it being a thing that needs to be talked about between the two.

I saw a lot of that when I worked part time at an LGBT center but never got a firm answer from any of the people.

That is actually a good point Ditzy.
4 days

Ditzy:
My question is :

Weight-gain (and weight-loss, for that matter!) can be a symptom of depression or other health problems. It is natural for your loved ones to be concerned about that possibility; if you can put their minds at ease that would be gracious.
4 days

AskDrFeeder:
Weight-gain (and weight-loss, for that matter!) can be a symptom of depression or other health problems. It is natural for your loved ones to be concerned about that possibility; if you can put their minds at ease that would be gracious.[/quote]

That is a good point too.
4 days

Ditzy:
My question is :
You wouldn't go around calling attention if one of them put on weight would you?

I never understood that mind set I just did what I felt I needed to do for my reasons not someone else.
If its a spouse then I can see it being a thing that needs to be talked about between the two.

I saw a lot of that when I worked part time at an LGBT center but never got a firm answer from any of the people.

I wouldn't compare the two tbh. The stakes are different. Besides, people's reasons for coming out are deeply personal, so there's no one answer.

Some people come out for acceptance or because they are tired of keeping parts of themselves hidden away. I've seen people come out to denounce their previous communities and show solidarity to others.

Some people come out because they didn't have a choice. I remember when Lil Nas X dropped Old Town Road, he was still in the closet. Then a bunch of people found some ancient tweets and started a campaign to destroy him for funsies. At that point, he had no choice but to come out.

Now compare this to feedism. You can be fat for any reason. You can't really do that with being gay or trans for example. Also, being LGBTQIA+ isn't a sexual practice. Heck, there are sex repulsed ace people that do not want to partake in sex or kink.

It's an apples and oranges kind of thing.
4 days

Look. I get it. They’re your family and friends. The people you love. There’s an impulse to tell the people you love about this important part of yourself. It can be painful to keep a secret like this to yourself.

But what’s been said is correct, you don’t have to tell them. And if you’re afraid they’ll judge you or push you away, maybe they’re not worth it.

It’s a hard decision to make.
4 days

What is a Lil Nas X ?
A person, place or thing?
4 days

Ditzy:
My question is :

Your question isnt really a good one, because the answer is a simple no, and that is simply irrelevant to what seems to be the issue (people wanting to be honest to others about who they are, etc etc) so we cant get much out of it.

Human beings have evolved to have certain qualities regarding social behaviors. For example empathy. It is easy to understand the positive social effect that this has on a community level. Similarly, honesty works in a similar way. It has a certain social result and simply, societies with members that were more honest survived more easily than those with less honest members. And honesty works a bit like this: When you think people have a false idea of something, implying that you have an other idea that contradicts what others say and you sense that yours is better, then you want to let everyone know about your idea about that thing and how it is better! In the examples you mention, the subject, the thing people have false ideas about is the people's identities that want to come out of the closet.

This is natural and okay.

What is moraly horrifying is that our society will not allow them to be honest. It will shame them, it will make them fear to do it!

This is hubris.
4 days

Ditzy:
What is a Lil Nas X ?

I mentioned very clearly in my post that Lil Nas X is a person, Ditzy. He's a black man who happens to be gay if you want to be more specific.

Please do not ask that question when someone brings up a marginalized person that you are not familiar with. It's extremely rude and unflattering. It's okay to ask who they are, but never what.
4 days

I'll be more careful when asking questions next time.
4 days

Please do not ask that question when someone brings up a marginalized person that you are not familiar with. It's extremely rude and unflattering. It's okay to ask who they are, but never what.

The question:
Ditzy:
What is a Lil Nas X ?

was clear and simple. I can demonstrate, if you'd like, that questions (and statements also) are obsectively not rude. And that should be especially obvious with simple and clear questions such as this one.

Munchies:
I mentioned very clearly in my post that Lil Nas X is a person, Ditzy. He's a black man who happens to be gay if you want to be more specific.

Put 1 and 1 together, its easy to see that the problem, or mistake if youd like, wasnt the question Ditzy asked but that she read past that, to which the question was simply a natural consequence of. She should be more carefull with reading, not with asking questions that can be interpeted as rude.
4 days
2345   loading