General

Vegetarian

Thunder_Thighs wrote
I only found out recently that veal was baby cows

And lamb is baby sheep smiley

Oh, so thats why Mary had a LITTLE lamb...

A little pork...

and a little ham!

smiley
13 years

Vegetarian

I'm vegan. Most people are kind of surprised when I tell them. I guess most people's idea of a vegan is a pasty stick figure, and I'm a pretty well-built chubby guy. My personal philosophy is that I want to live my life without causing or contributing to, the death, destruction or suffering of any undeserving creature. Obviously, this is just an ideal, some small animals inevitably die in the harvesting of vegetables and grains and numerous other situations - but I'm trying. I think living without animal products is actually remarkably easy in a lot of wealthy western countries, and if I have the choice, I will always pick the least harmful option.

Having said that, I don't usually bring up my diet unless people ask or start being really persistent about me eating something with meat/dairy in it.

I'm definitely NOT one of those people that tries to convert others or looks down on people for eating animal products. I would rather hang out with people who eat nothing but steak than snooty self-superior vegetarians/vegans. If people know the realities of where their food comes from and they're happy about it, then there isn't really a problem as far as I'm concerned. Of course this means I also take issue with meat-eaters who only eat processed meat and cringe at the site of an actual animal carcass as if it's somehow morally different to the food they eat.

I guess I just like people who THINK about what they eat (well, thinking about what you do in general is always good) whether that be full omnivorism, vegetarianism or veganism.

appologies for thread-necromancy by the way smiley
13 years
12   loading