General

Painful songs

For me it's a few songs;

I'll Fly Away--This one is an old gospel song, the version that hits me the hardest is the one that's on the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack

My Immortal--Evanescence

Angel--Sarah McLachlan *it makes me think of my Grandma*

Christmas Shoes--It's a really sad Christmas song...I'm tearing up just thinking about it...
13 years

Painful songs

Lately 45 by Shinedown has been having...an effect on me. It sort of sends me down a depressing trail of thought...considering the underlying message of the song I guess that's not terribly far fetched...
13 years

Painful songs

There are a few songs that do sort of make me depressed, most for obvious reasons.

Gary Jules - Mad World
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Lionel Richie - Hello
Nick Drake - Suicide Is Painless
Plain White T's - Sad Story
The Beatles - Across the Universe
The Dandy Warhols - Sleep
The Offspring - Gone Away
Somewhere Over the Rainbow (but only the Israel Kama-something version. No idea why.)

The only song that has an effect on me for a personal reason is Little Boxes by Pete Seeger.
13 years

Painful songs

Youth of the Nation by P.O.D and Stole by Kelly Rowland
12 years

Painful songs

The Drugs Don't Work - The Verve (This song has real meaning for me as my dad died of cancer).

Lady of a Certain Age - Divine Comedy (Best lyrics I have ever heard, the picture is painted so well).

Breakdown - Suede (Reminds me of my ex).

I Know It's Over - The Smiths.

She Takes Her Clothes Off - Stereophonics.

Cut Here - The Cure.

Falling on a Bruise - CarterUSM.

There are loads more I could have mentioned, but I think I've covered my most painful.
12 years

Painful songs

Since seeing Across the Universe I'm going to have to add Let it Be to my list of painful songs. The images from that part of the movie are so powerful.
12 years

Painful songs

Someday by sugar ray. It was played at my mom's funeral.
12 years

Painful songs

hmmm. Bounce by System of a Down smiley gets me everytime. smiley Not sure i can ever love another pogo stick again.. WHY WHYYYYYYYYY smiley lol. Sorry yal. felt the need to put a comical twist on a good but unhappy thread. FOR I AM MOST OBTUSE.
11 years

Painful songs

I find if I'm having a crap time of it on the emotional/feeling isolated side of things that Tchaikovsky...well, he doesn't make it better, as such, but sometimes you don't want it to, just yet. There's this longing in his music (particularly the Serenade for Strings and the Violin Concerto) that makes you feel like you're being empathised with (and then I contemplate what an unhappy time he had of it, and empathise right back).

A few other things I love to bits despite (or, weirdly but more accurately, because of) the fact that they can really darken the mood:

Shostakovich symphonies, particularly the anger in so much of nos. 5,8 and 10.

A lot of the work of Gregor Samsa, particularly 'Young and Old'.

'Sad Professor' by REM.
11 years

Painful songs

Bother-Stone Sour. This song wrecked my psyche during the last few months of my studies at ODU.

I Don't Care-Apocalyptica. I guess it's kind of an angry song. But it still depressed me pretty good. Same basic time period as Bother was messing with my brain.
11 years
12   loading