General

New bbw mag in the uk

So we appear to have a new print magazine in the UK--Just As Beautiful. I will refrain from commenting on the title. But here's a link to a piece that doesn't like the mag for some really interesting reasons:

uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/family-parenting/just-as-beautiful-britains-first-plus-size-magazine-blog-10-vanessa-green.html

She thinks having a mag just for larger women continues to segregate us. It's a good little piece, so please do read it. I'd love to know what others think about her opinion.
13 years

New bbw mag in the uk

That was exactly the point of the author of the blog/article. Part of me wants a genuine magazine for fat people, with ads for clothes for us, and other kinds of things we need. Though you're totally right, Chub, 14-20 is completely ridiculous.

But part of me agrees that segregating us is a bad idea. Well, I definitely think segregating us is a bad idea, but I actually think we should be included in general mags AND have something for ourselves. And that something should be a lot better than *Just As Beautiful*.
13 years

New bbw mag in the uk

I agree..all sizes in one magazine,then people might start thinking (as they should)that size 30 is as normal as size 12smiley
13 years

New bbw mag in the uk

My own--perhaps greedy--sense of the thing that troubles Debz is that we need both, not one or the other. Until discrimination goes away, people need safe spaces where they know they won't be harrassed or made fun of or ignored. Ideally, if there comes a time when discrimination disappears (see me not holding my breath?), those 'safe spaces' will not be needed and they can fade away.

In the meantime, though, I think it's absolutely crucial for us to keep asking for inclusion in everything there is. Given the percentages in the US and UK (I don't know about other countries, I'm afraid) of 'overweight' and 'obese' people, aka BBWs/BHMs and SSBBWs/SSBHMs, I think our absence in the media is an important thing to push against. How we go about that is a different question.
13 years

New bbw mag in the uk

I know what you mean, Brick. Given the financial struggles of most print publications, it's quite shocking! smiley
13 years