General

Sandwiches - wierd, wonderful, whatever works.

OK, these are both ethnic American:

1. I've been told this is Amish, but not sure. Sounds awful but it's FAB--do try it: peanut butter, horseradish, and thinly sliced cucumber. YUMMMMM.

2. What I grew up calling an Italian hero: Salami (I prefer dry), proscuittini/peppered ham, bologna or mortadella, (some people add other meats, like prosciutto or cappicola), provolone, pepperoncini, roasted red peppers, shredded iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, olive oil and vinegar. Absolute heaven. I don't normally eat preserved meats, or even that much meat, but this sandwich is my idea of joy in physical form.
13 years
attachment

I also love the toasted sandwich variety... my great grandmother used to make me a sandwich that was my first food love, I think. Fresh white bread, thin slices, buttered, with slices of any cheese that melts stringy, like mozzarella. Lots of butter in the pan, toast the bread in the butter until the bread is crisp and buttery and all the cheese has melted.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
13 years

shazzy wrote
I would rather have my eyes poked my hot needles than have a normal cold sandwich smiley even the thought of one makes me slightly gag.. Yes I am that wierd lol

I'm right there with you!
13 years

One of my childhood--and still--faves is cream cheese and olives. I like the sweet tinned ones best, but also salty oil-cured wrinkly ones are great, too.

There are more kinds of sandwich bread in the US that I miss, like poppy seed kaiser rolls, especially crusty ones, but there are some wild local kinds of bread here, like stotties, that really rock.
13 years

@lilwitchy -- That sounds gorgeous. Don't like mayo, so I might use sour cream or yogurt, but still, yum. Have to try it.

@Ikissed -- What's 'Sandwich dust'?!?
13 years

Got my mom a panini press for Christmas, and we used it the other day. Those sandwhiches were bomb as hell.
13 years

I will even list places.

Zaftigs (on the outskirts of Boston, Massachusetts) has excellent beef brisket. I simply get their beef brisket on sourdough with a slice of tomato.

Sourdough (located in Lake Placid, New York) makes damn good bread and a damn good smoked salmon sandwich. It is smoked salmon on potato-dill bread with herbed cream cheese, red onions, and a few greens.

There is some deli/general store in Jackson, New Hampshire that has a turkey wrap with bacon, harvarti cheese, greens, and a chipotle mayo.

The sandwich is my favorite food, so I could keep writing, but I will spare the words.
13 years

XgorgedNgorgeousX wrote
This is going to sound rly weird

I like to put mayo on one slice of bread, peanut butter on the other.....and kosher dill spear pickles in between.

I just wonder how you came to that combination...and which combinations you rejected.
13 years

13 years

Warm ciabatta bread with olive oil, sun dryed tomatos,thick slices of mozzerella and spinach. Some times i also add pesto and grilled chicken. So good smiley
13 years
12   loading