General

Tv: should gluttons be punished?

There was a talk show here on this topic, and it's now on youtube:

&NR=1

I'd love to hear people talk about this issue. It's not unlike the airline one--which gets mentioned early on--but in this case it has to do with public resources.

Any thoughts?
13 years

Ah, and now a Big Fat Blog entry on the show: www.bigfatblog.com/

There are the usual presumptions: that fat people are fat because we eat vast amounts of junk food, that we don't care about our health, etc. But the question of whether or not we should be 'punished'--for example, by making us pay for health care that's free to others--is one we really need to be thinking and talking about, because it's coming soon to a health care provider near you...
13 years

The problem, as I see it, is that these things only pretend to be logical. In fact, as SuperFelix points out, we're unlikely to charge athletes more, though their training means injuries which means costs. These ideas are about punishing people who don't fall in line--smokers and fatties, in the current case. You'll notice, for instance, that we're not charging people who drink a few pints a few nights a week...

This seems to me another example of why we need a 'civil rights' type movement for fat people. Unfortunately, the people who have nominated themselves to lead that movement don't think it should include us, and (maybe relatedly?) we don't seem to participate much in it.
13 years

I'm probably going to cover a lot of similar ground that you guys have mentioned, but one element that has been missed is the finance aspect.

The world and governments are Skint to put it bluntly and the global recession means cuts. this eventually in the UK effects healthcare & the nhs and again, putting it bluntly, fat people are easy targets. currently the media war on obesity has villified fat people, ironically when, according to statistics there are more fat people than ever. we out number the 'slim' folk, yet we are marginalized?

all of the above is spot on in regards to drinkers, smokers and athletes who injure during training or extreme sports junkies breaking bones throwing themselves off of mountains for an adrenaline kick. how do you distinguish who is allowed the healthcare they paid for? let's be clear - the nhs is not free, it is all subsidized by our taxes, national insurance etc. in fact, if you're fat, drink & smoke? well you should get priority treatment as you pay all of the above and tax on tobacco and tax on alcohol! you've paid more into the collective pot! throw in this fast food tax being discussed and I expect 5 star treatment should I ever need hospital treatment.

a fat positive movement is needed and one that is publically recognized, however I feel the number of fat people who like the majority of us here are either comfortable with our weight or actively seek to increase or maintain
our size are outweighed by those battered down and beaten by the medias anti-fat message of self loathing and disgust. any movement needs numbers to ensure its voice is heard and right now I don't think we have that.

thanks folks. despite coming here for years, this is my 1st post. sorry for the rant smiley
12 years