General

Why does hollywood kill things

I wouldn't say any of the Harry Potter books are particularly juvenile...and far from daft.

I'm with you that Twilight was a train-wreck from the start though.
12 years

Because money is money and whatever gets the dollars rolling in will be used in Hollywood. Especially trash like Twilight which has brought in big figures despite it being one of the worst series of books and movies.

(My view on Harry Potter stands that it is a very well written series but not adapted to film as best as it could have been. Despite that they were still adequate representations of the series.)
12 years

Presumably they want to appeal to a wider audience than just the fans of the show/comic/etc so they can pull more money in, so they feel they have to take a different approach to the material, as well as try and fit the entire story into a 2 hour or so framework as opposed to episodes or issues.

As for competence, that's a different matter altogether. smiley Because they aren't that familiar to the material and didn't put their blood, sweat and tears into the original works (and are only in it for the money, really), they don't really understand what to do... just all about thinking what wider audiences want.
12 years

Twilight is okay if you view it as a metaphor of High School. smiley

And I thought the movie versions of Watchmen and Sin City were better than the comix.
12 years

Zombit wrote:
Because money is money and whatever gets the dollars rolling in will be used in Hollywood.

Bingo!

Hollywood would make movies about paint drying if it made money, they really couldn't care less about anything else.

Sad I know, but once you accept that fact you can open yourself to all the other wonderful films in the world that remain honest and true to the art. smiley
12 years

Though in order to truly do a book series justice it should be made into a mini-series. Like what is being done with Game of Thrones on HBO *no spoilers please I've only seen the first season so far and not all of it*

I for one would love to see an animated mini-series on the Harry Potter books.
12 years

I have found that most movies based on comics are lame as hell haha except Sin city and the other one like that, they were cooooool.

I think theyve done a pretty good job on Tomorrow when the war began, my favourite series of childhood books ever! and they portrayed it pretty accurately in the movie.

I HATE how in The lovely bones movie they kill off the murderer at the end to make it like all child friendly and happy ending !! that was ridiculous ! that was what I loved most about the book, the guy gets away with it and never gets any sort of punishment, it was so different than the others and they ***ing ruined it !!!
12 years