General

4th of july

I think it is the American equivilent of Guy Fawkes day. Lots of fireworks. Also a time for people to enjoy the summer by cooking out. It is the most patriotic holiday of the year.
11 years

4th of july

HeavyInYourArms wrote:
Typically there are parades and things like that, but this year, there's a burn ban in quite a few areas of the US because of the drought, so there won't be near as many firework displays as in previous years! There's a county-wide burn ban here, and where my dad lives, so no fireworks for meee. Probably just a lot of drinking and rabble-rousing then ^^

Aww that's just Malarckey burn ban or not. The 4th of July without fireworks? It's a shame and a travesty. The 4th of July always meant alot to me though; as our family has a long history in the service. I always liked fireworks and thought them to be important because they acted as a way of reminding us of the past. How many people have given their lives so that we may be free and safe? Bombs and fire have fallen on American soil in the past and it's kinda a way to remember, connect with, and understand the suffering of our ancestors who died in the Revolutionary and the War of 1812. If I know my buddy Charlie they'll be fireworks burn ban or not hehe. The trick is keeping the firing over your own property, that way it's less of a fire hazard.
11 years

4th of july

The Only Weigh is Essex wrote:
Lol Bubba I can't believe you asked! But nevermind.

I must admit though that I was bitterly disappointed with the 4th July celebrations when I was in the States for it in 2009. I was on the waterfront in San Francisco with thousands of other people waiting a good couple of hours, for what was honestly the worst fireworks display I've ever seen! America is supposed to be good at that stuff! If Disney can do it why couldn't the city of San Francisco! Anyway moan over, I hope you all have fun!

Aww Essex man I'm sorry. That's a shame. Too bad you weren't near New England. Fireworks in the Northeast are usually pretty spectacular this time of year, especially in the greater Boston, Providence area. We had fun tonight. As I expected my bud Charlie got it all, bottle rockets, roman candles, mortars, fun.
We accidentally had a mid air collision and a slightly low detonation tonight lol. But hey nobody got hurt, that's whats important right?
11 years

4th of july

When I was younger, July 4 always involved boating, BBQ, beer, blasting caps and bottle rockets. Now boating while intoxicated is illegal, and boating while drinking (not just while drving) is frowned upon, and they made blasting caps hard to get after 9/11.

I doubt this had anything to do with us building a small floating barge with 2 litter coke bottles full of gasoline with a blasting cap in the center and a candle a few feet away (on a private lake we would use a .30-06, but thats not safe on a public lake, and we are nothing if not safe.
11 years