Lifestyle tips

Airplane seats size

So i know this large lady that is about 350 at 5'9" and shes worried about flying the airplane and needing to buy two tickets.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
10 years

Airplane seats size

I think it won't be a problem, unless it's very long flight and she wants extra comfort. She may need extender though I'm pretty sure in most planes she won't need them.
10 years

Airplane seats size

I am 360 and 5ft 9, i fit but i need a seatbelt extender. It is uncomfortable though
8 years

Airplane seats size

The only straight up bad experience I've had with fitting into a seat was on a long haul from San Francisco to London in premium economy seating on a British Airways flight. I was only about 285 at 5'6", but the sides of those seats are solid panels instead of the armrests in economy. I got a fairly massive bruise on my thigh from trying to stuff myself into that seat!

The other issue was that the tray comes out of those armrests, too. My weight is predominantly in my belly, butt, and thighs, and this made using the tray impossible. However, I was able to fit into the seatbelt without an extender.

I'm waffling about taking a trip during my break from postgrad studies, as I'm over 300lbs now and I bit nervous after that last flight! I think I'm going to just bite the bullet, though, since the point of getting fat was not to stop traveling! With that, I'll report back if I learn anything of note on this next flight smiley
8 years

Airplane seats size

comfypear:
I've flown long haul a few times with British Airways and with Quantas. The solid sided seats tend to be the ones by the escape door. I too had bruised sides afterwards and so did my friend who is a normal sizes woman. Also you can't use an extender belt on those seats, but I have to say I didn't need one on that occasion. I have had no trouble anywhere else on the plane but with the other seats I used an extender belt. I was about 309lbs at the time and 5ft 9

The tray tables in the arm rest are uncomfortable for me also (6-3 and 280). They are also found on most bulkhead seats. A few planes have moved them back to the seat in front and they have extended slides to assume a normal position. Btw at my size I've had seat belts almost too short and had 8" of slack on other flights.

BTW on 717/MD80/MD90/DC9 aircraft the 2 wide side is more forgiving of larger passengers ( no middle seater to get squashed.)

I can't figure out how a woman over 200 lbs uses the lavatory- it has to be the least pleasant part for a SSBBW.

AK- 150k/year flyer
8 years

Airplane seats size

After a bad experience, we are hyper-researchers about seat size and placement when flying on any airline.

seatguru.com/ lets you find your seat on a given plane. Door/isle seats offer the best legroom/width and if the plane has an emergency, we are fine with opening the hatch.

It might be a little extra ticket price, but it's worth it to make it to squeeze onto the plane.

I don't think my hubby would travel without me though. It's a lot of hassle and spilling over onto your neighbor at 500lbs. Psychologically, it's nice to have a mate along when you feel the rest of the passengers are starring daggers.

(If you've been stuck next to a massively obese person on a plane, I'm sorry, but it will pass. Believe me, they are way more uncomfortable than you are.)
4 years