Gaining

Just found out about oil...

The big thing with oil is viscosity. You don't want oil that just sits on top of the whatever-it-is like a cocktail, that's just gross. You want something that can contain lots of oil without triggering the gag reflex.
10 years

I also have a problem with low appetite and having a hard time making myself eat a lot consistently. I've been doing an olive oil experiment for the past 2 months. That is, cutting out a lot of sugars and replacing with oil to see if it distributes fat even slightly differently than before. I've been drinking 2 to 6 tablespoons a day. I picked olive oil to try because the good quality stuff is mostly mufa fat and is supposed to be pretty healthy, with anti-oxidants and lowering cholesterol and anti-inflammation. Coconut is mostly saturated fat, and I wanted to avoid an excess of that to make the experiment slightly more controlled.

I haven't been doing it long enough to have any solid results, though I have been experiencing skin-growth itching below the waist, rather than around the waist like I was gaining before. I appear to have lost an inch in the waist but gained an inch in my hips. Such small measurements can be unreliable. But I'll keep going with it and see what happens!

If you want to supplement your diet, I'd recommend going ahead and adding oils wherever you want, it's an easy way to add hundreds of pure fat calories every day. BTW you mentioned popcorn - movie theater popcorn is made with coconut oil (and Flavacol seasoning salt).
10 years

Interesting blog on this: growingcurves.blogspot.com/
10 years

OnyxStar wrote:
I think both are correct actually. From what all I have read fat requires very minimal energy to digest, then next I think are carbs at around 4, and after that protein comes about 8 and fiber (if it even gets digested as you have soluble and insoluble)
Lately, I have paid attention to combinations. I noticed I did start gaining weight when I would eat consume fat with carbs (sugar or starch). Then I found some different studies online. One in particular had three groups of rats. One fed all carbs (sugar form), one fat, and one a combination of both. All three did gain, but over the course of a few weeks, the metabolism adjusted to the intake of the fat and carb group. The combo group however did not adjust and they gained the most while brain chemistry changed to prefer those foods over traditional fare.--- who wouldnt prefer something that tastes good over something bland? Lol

Anyway, Im havent researched what would be the optimal ratio for gaining. Perhaps it just depends. I think fat is very effective in reaching that 3500 cal excess to make a pound, its much easier to do that with say, cream, (800 cals a cup) versus something like potatoes just because of the bulk then again fat alone has a tendency to satiate. It does get tricky also because carbs (especially refined carbs) trigger a release of insulin which then decides if the glucose goes to fat cells or muscle (sorry if I missed sone steps lol) - hence why the low carb craze actually worked ( just made me feel like crap).... Thank goodness those days are over smiley -insulin triggering hunger also explains why time and time again, diet soda drinkers, or any artificial sweetener consumers, usually end up gaining. Studies say that once we start to consume a sweet calorie deficient treat, it sends a signal for the body to produce insulin, which again, starts trying to convert stuff to fat-and increases hunger.

But yeah, carb + fat seem to be the way to go (for me at least) i usually try to combine both in each meal. It seems to be working. Then again, as stated above, nutrition changes like the weather.

Yep, I love science ... At least when it comes to gaining

wow you seem to know lots of things about food adn gaining and all sorts of connections in between it sure would be a sexy endeavor having you as a gf ^^
10 years