Story authors

Music as a muse?

I know a lot of writers deal with this. Music and writing sometimes go hand in hand. I thought it would be nice to have a thread going about music and writing. As a writer do you find yourself listening to music to help you get creative? If so, I'd love to hear what you listen to!

I have a very special playlist that I have on repeat of all my favorite songs to listen to while writing. Sometimes I'll just have one specific song on repeat for hours because it fits the mood I need for writing. Any quirks like that around here too?
9 years

Music as a muse?

I don't have a play list, at least not on the computer. But music is important, and I do have like a mental playlist.

I often find it hard to write when there is an extraneous stimulus, especially a sound. Like music that doesn't mesh with the scene that I'm writing.

To get in the mood for writing I always try to conjure up a lot of different pieces of music in my head and find the one that puts me in the mindset to write the scene I have in mind.
9 years

Music as a muse?

Generally in the foreword or dedication I've seen authors post some music that helped inspire them. I've also read of authors who had to go on retreats where they could have complete silence to pretty much meditate on what they wanted to write. Different strokes for different creative folks!

I can be very picky about what I choose from my playlist. I can go anywhere from Wojciech Kilar to Muse. Still there is a dominant theme of somberness to whatever I listen to.

I always wonder what type of genres/themes/tempos people use to get in the mood.
9 years