General

I'm a feminist

I'm a feminist.

Feminism actually helps men. It helps men because it creates a more egalitarian and cohesive society. A healthy society creates a better life for all.

Also, we have a lot of nonsense about playing up to gender stereotypes. For example, men should be tough and like cars and, women should like shopping and beautifying. Perhaps a man wants to sing in a musical or a woman wants to join a football team, yet they do not because of these out dated gender ideals. In a sense we all - both men and women - fear ridicule.

To smash the boundaries of gender identity really is a good thing for all.

People fear feminism because its different, some feel it threatens masculinity and, that the followers are men hating. Of course this is false, it is the humble aspiration to treat humans equally and in a fair manner.

With hope this shall be achieved, my only wish is that I get to see it occur.
9 years

I'm a feminist

diggers1917 wrote:
Out of interest, what are your opinions when it comes to men identifying as feminists (not just as sympathisers/allies etc)? I remember being involved in a conversation with a few feminist and otherwise sympathetic friends on facebook and the conclusion seemed to be that it could be a bit problematic. As a man, calling myself a feminist is a bit like calling myself a great lover or talented composer: it's not for me to say, it's for others to decide or recognise. As it is, I am very sympathetic to feminism and my opinion of people generally increases when they express feminist sentiment.

It's an interesting topic that I've seen discussed around in other areas. I would say it is for others to often decide or recognise - for example some have called themselves feminists but only end up championing men's rights which is a most curious stance for them to take, which often ends up with them labelled as not being a feminist.

On the topic of men being feminists though, I would say from what I have seen that the majority of feminists are fine about it, though some women maintain that men shouldn't call themselves feminists and that it makes them feel uncomfortable. So it can be a bit of a grey area. Just don't keep insisting that you're a feminist to someone that's uncomfortable with it, and it should be fine. You can call yourself an 'ally' there instead.
9 years

I'm a feminist

To say a man cannot be a feminist is like saying the only people who can cure cancer are those who have cancer.

For me, we can all support equality. I don't care if your male, female or you choose not to have a gender, the choice is yours and your support is welcome.

People have also asked me why i'm a feminist? I always answer; I was raised by a single mother, the question ought to be how could I be anything but a feminist?
9 years

I'm a feminist

flyinghorse wrote:
To say a man cannot be a feminist is like saying the only people who can cure cancer are those who have cancer.

For me, we can all support equality. I don't care if your male, female or you choose not to have a gender, the choice is yours and your support is welcome.

People have also asked me why i'm a feminist? I always answer; I was raised by a single mother, the question ought to be how could I be anything but a feminist?

While I agree with you for the most part, I do also feel that it's not a man's place to interject himself into spaces where women are (and should be) the main focus and in control. So I defer to the women in feminist spaces on whether or not I should call myself a feminist, or a feminist ally, or something else; it is antithetical if I identify myself in a way that makes women uncomfortable.

I will, in general, call myself a feminist, because that's a quick and easy identifier of my basic beliefs here, but if asked to do otherwise by feminist women, I'm more than happy to change that label in their spaces.
9 years

I'm a feminist

Murphy wrote:
flyinghorse wrote:

While I agree with you for the most part, I do also feel that it's not a man's place to interject himself into spaces where women are (and should be) the main focus and in control. So I defer to the women in feminist spaces on whether or not I should call myself a feminist, or a feminist ally, or something else; it is antithetical if I identify myself in a way that makes women uncomfortable.

I will, in general, call myself a feminist, because that's a quick and easy identifier of my basic beliefs here, but if asked to do otherwise by feminist women, I'm more than happy to change that label in their spaces.

Agreed.
9 years

I'm a feminist

Murphy wrote:
flyinghorse wrote:

Is it not fundamental to the principle of equality of treatment that there are no places where one or other sex ought to be the main focus or in control?

The people who cause the problems are the people who think that it matters what sex that people are, except in the very specific situations when it really does (i.e., those necessarily connected to the actual biological difference between the sexes).
9 years

I'm a feminist

chubbyhoney wrote: If you're not a feminist, you are a terrible, terrible person.

Who gave you the morale authority to make that judgement on other people? I'm speaking as someone who does agree with equality for the genders. Seriously, get off your morale high horse.
9 years

I'm a feminist

It's funny how many people turn out to have been playing devil's advocate...
9 years

I'm a feminist

chubbyhoney wrote:
TommyGun wrote:
chubbyhoney wrote: If you're not a feminist, you are a terrible, terrible person.

Who gave you the morale authority to make that judgement on other people? I'm speaking as someone who does agree with equality for the genders. Seriously, get off your morale high horse.

*moral. Morale means something entirely different.

If you aren't a feminist, it means you believe women should be discriminated against purely for being women. Therefore, it's pretty obviously justifiable to say that would make you a terrible person. If you disagree, that's absolutely fine. You'd be 100% wrong in my book, but you'd be entitled to think whatever you like smiley

Thanks for pointing out my typo, totally relevant since I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant.

And who says it means that? You? You don't know the mind of every person who happens to disagree with feminism so why don't you stop being so judgemental? The world isn't that black and white. Once again, I agree with equality between the genders but your judgemental attitude and thinking that you're so morally superior is really bothersome.
9 years

I'm a feminist

Perhaps instead of making this personal, after all it is rather bizarre to bicker with strangers online over the semantics of feminism, we should all take a step back.

Clearly feminism is a touchy subject for some of you and that it fine. What would be great is if the people criticising feminism could criticise, and please be specific, what you disagree with, and then we can discuss it.

I'm sure we agree on more matters than what we disagree on.

I can recommended two modern and accessible books on feminism if you want to understand the subject better:

Living Dolls by Natasha Walters
How to be Woman by Caitlin Moran
9 years
1234   loading