General

I'm a feminist

This is why I never understand men being against feminism like
IT WOULD HELP YOU TOO

and besides who is selfish enough to only support a movement if it helps them PERSONALLY ?
9 years

I'm a feminist

Ladies, you can't explain logic to a goldfish or women's rights to a guy like that, let it go.
9 years

I'm a feminist

Layla wrote:
This is why I never understand men being against feminism like
IT WOULD HELP YOU TOO

and besides who is selfish enough to only support a movement if it helps them PERSONALLY ?

Agreed. By creating a more equal society we all benefit.

I think a lot of men feel threatened by female empowerment. This is a faulty conclusion based on the logic: if women gain power then men must lose power. This, of course, is false. If you have liberty and then your neighbour gains liberty it doesn't make you less free. Thus, when a woman is empowered a man is not stripped of his.

People often mistake feminism with misandry. The only way to solve this is to educate people what feminism is.
9 years

I'm a feminist

No Godwinning thanks, arguments can be made without bringing that into it.

Privilege... probably the best way to describe it is having less penalties, rather than bonuses. Life sucks for everyone, but it sucks less for men because they have less penalties. And that's speaking in broad terms of just being a man, while ignoring other aspects of their life. It's a privilege to not be disabled, and a privilege to not be poor, for example. A man who is not disabled will have more privilege than a man who is.

Being rich though... that is undoubtedly a privilege that helps life not suck.

We're more likely to get a longer prison sentence than a woman for the same crime.

This is true, and it's another form of 'benevolent' sexism by society. Ideally both would be punished equally.

(less likely to) visit a doctor

Quite, society forces men into a mold of being 'strong' and not to seek help just like it forces women to be 'weak' and to seek help. People should be allowed to be what they want to be. Women should be allowed to be tough and independent, and men should be allowed to cry and show weakness, both without condemnation for being a gender that does so.

And yes, it's not only men that perpetuate the patriarchy/system, a number of people of other genders have been happy to continue the system as it is, just like a number of men seek to end it.

Lastly, we're humans, not animals, not cavemen, whatever happened in prehistory should be long behind us now (even if we still have appendix's for some reason). We're sentient and we should know better, and should be working to create a better world than it already is. Even if we've come a long way, there's still so much more work for humans to do.
9 years
234   loading