General

I'm a feminist

There are so many vastly different sets of opinions to which the word "feminist" can attach, it is impossible rationally to have a generalised view of everyone who so terms themselves.
9 years

I'm a feminist

ITT: men who do not understand feminism yell at feminists in order to prove that women are not as oppressed as they claim to be, because men can have their feelings hurt too and "equality" is just a better idea than gender superiority.
9 years

I'm a feminist

I am a feminist, and I agree: It just means I believe in equal rights and privileges for women.

Some people have tried to turn feminism into something else, taking the banner of feminism and putting it on their pet cause or philosophy. This has caused a lot of confusion as to what feminism actually is and turned people away from it. This is unfortunate.
9 years

I'm a feminist

The people who cause the problems are those who think that it matters what sex that people are outside those relatively rare circumstances (almost all of which are directly related to courtship or reproduction) when it actually does. Those who make generalisations about people based on their sex that are not strictly true are bigots. Those who believe that people should be treated more or less favourably on account of their sex are also sectarians. Bigotry and sectarianism are evil in the fullest sense of the word.

There are some people who call themselves "feminists" who are bigoted and/or sectarian in those senses. Whether they are correct so to call themselves is open to question. That such people exist does not give any justification to anyone making bigoted assumptions about either women in general or people who call themselves "feminists" in general. All bigotry is equally bigoted, and all should be obliterated as effectively as possible by all right thinking people in the world.
9 years

I'm a feminist

pinktape wrote:
"Feminist: the person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes."

I figured that would be the definition. I am 100% in line with that. I grew up being the only male in a household. So no surprise I grew up supporting equality between the sexes.

(Btw, was there a thread here discussing the cat calling video about a woman walking the streets in NYC?)
9 years

I'm a feminist

If you want facts and examples of rape culture, we can discuss how a minute fraction of rapists actually serve jail time; or the pressure that is put on women to not charge someone with rape after they have been raped; or the extensive history of covering up rape cases involving college athletes; or how a significant majority of college-aged men admitted to coercing or forcing a woman to have sex with them without calling it rape; or how women are told to follow a particular set of rules to not get raped instead of more effort being made to get men to not rape.

I could go on, but hopefully you get the basic idea about this here. This isn't any sort of an all-inclusive list or anything, just mentioning a handful of examples of what "rape culture" actually entails in western society.
9 years

I'm a feminist

I too am a feminist, but I will say that what I am is often termed an 'intersectional feminist'.

everydayfeminism.com/2014/04/kyriarchy-101/
If you’re familiar with feminism, you’ll have heard of the term patriarchy – the social order that privileges men and oppresses women. It’s a useful term as it gives a name to the institutionalisation of male privilege.

But feminism has moved on from being purely concerned with male privilege.

We now – thankfully and rightfully! – take into account the number of different privileges and oppressions that people experience.

First named by Kimberlé Crenshaw in 1989, intersectional feminism is concerned with the social order that privileges and oppresses people based on race, gender, language, class, sexual orientation, (dis)ability, culture, and so on.

Mainstream feminism has been traditionally concerned with gender inequality. Intersectional feminism, however, is concerned with all types of inequality.

Not all feminists are intersectional feminists, no, but we are a growing movement. The phrase "My feminism will be intersectional or it will be bulls**t!" originating from an essay written by Flavia Dzodan (Link here) has spread around to many places online. It's true that feminism originally focused on white women only, but now with intersectionality we incorporate more now than just the oppression of women, though it is our primary focus. We fight for different races, we fight for different genders, for different sexes, for different sexual orientations, for different body shapes, for different cultures, and more, against all types of inequality. Many other feminists in this very topic are probably intersectional as well.

ThosePeskySwedens wrote:
Never heard it explained like that before, thank you. Seems a lot of people use it without knowing what it means just because it sounds scary.

You can read more about it here too, if you want to look into it more:
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Rape_culture

I'll pick out the part on victim blaming in particular, too:

Victim blaming is a notable feature of a rape culture. If the victim can be shown to be "out of line" at any point, society turns on her, often demanding she at least voice some sense of remorse for her behaviors that led to the rape. Was she dressed "like a slut?" Did she lead the guy on? Had she been out partying? Is she pretty? Was she "friendly" (wink-wink, nudge nudge) with the boys? If so, then shouldn't she have at least expected the likelihood of being raped, and done something to prevent it?

Even if a rape victim actually does meet the maximum standards for sympathy, the implication is that the victim's transgression against traditional values and polite society was more important than the actual act of violence done to the victim.

That's the problem see; sure, we're told that rape is bad, and yet society still trivializes it at the same time. Just a plaster covering of "don't do that" smeared over the top, while all the horrors and dismissal lurk underneath. Earlier the issue of "men can't be raped" was brought up, but as the entry mentions, "Men can't be raped" is also a part of rape culture. It is heinous and another issue that intersectional feminism also deals with.
9 years

I'm a feminist

I've been aghast at some of the ignorance displayed above, but comfortably assumed it was a few lone weirdos.

Sadly I was mistaken. If appears there's a whole bunch of anti-feminists out there.

Form an orderly queue, ladies:

independent.co.uk/news/people/feminists-hate-men-meet-mike-buchanan-the-leader-of-britains-new-justice-for-men-and-boys-party-9977357.html

I mean, still delusional, but the fact they've got enough support to attempt to run for parliament is unbelievably depressing.
9 years

I'm a feminist

Out of interest, what are your opinions when it comes to men identifying as feminists (not just as sympathisers/allies etc)? I remember being involved in a conversation with a few feminist and otherwise sympathetic friends on facebook and the conclusion seemed to be that it could be a bit problematic. As a man, calling myself a feminist is a bit like calling myself a great lover or talented composer: it's not for me to say, it's for others to decide or recognise. As it is, I am very sympathetic to feminism and my opinion of people generally increases when they express feminist sentiment.
9 years

I'm a feminist

diggers1917 wrote:
Out of interest, what are your opinions when it comes to men identifying as feminists (not just as sympathisers/allies etc)? I remember being involved in a conversation with a few feminist and otherwise sympathetic friends on facebook and the conclusion seemed to be that it could be a bit problematic. As a man, calling myself a feminist is a bit like calling myself a great lover or talented composer: it's not for me to say, it's for others to decide or recognise. As it is, I am very sympathetic to feminism and my opinion of people generally increases when they express feminist sentiment.

Feminism is not a talent--it's just belief in a certain principle. It can be a hard principle to fight for or live by but simply believing in it is pretty easy.
9 years
1234   loading