Lifestyle tips

Cheap food calories myth?

I have eaten local, organic, whole foods, and I appreciate the delicate flavors of an expertly prepared meal. Unfortunately, I find that they trigger feelings of satiety before I get as full as I like to be, and I don't feel as hungry at the next meal, either. Even if I'm focused on calorie intensive, fat-heavy, carb-heavy options, there's something about high quality gourmet food that makes me push myself away from the table before I'm overstuffed.

But cheap junk food packs the pounds on me. Fast food, donuts, ice cream, soda... once I start in, my cravings become stronger and stronger. My tastebuds beg for more and more, even after my stomach is begging for mercy. My appetite increases. I eat mindlessly. I go back for seconds, thirds, snacks, until my intake is nearly constant. The changes to my body happen more quickly. Sometimes I wonder if it's something more than the calories in the cheap food that make it so fattening, maybe the high fructose corn syrup, or the low-dose antibiotics in the meat and dairy that fattened the animals getting passed through to me. Those thoughts never worry me for long when the Hot Doughnuts Now sign is on at the Krispy Kreme.
9 years

I'm from Germany and all I can say is that getting fatter and staying that fat is hard. I mean the 130-200kg range; getting to 100kg is easy. The city where I live (Berlin) is full of health-nut restaurants where everything costs a lot, takes at least 1h to prepare and the portions aren't even that big. There's just a handful of restaurants that have good portions and you don't have to prepare your Will before you commit to waiting.

Regarding the McD, no big surprises there either. Tiny mayonnaise portions with the fries, largest Cola is just 300-400ml and, if you'd like to stuff yourself, be ready to spend over $30 on additional, overpriced burgers. Just 'meh'.
9 years

TheGoodWitch wrote:
IMO, the *only* way to get fat without being 'rich' is to prepare your own food. It's basic personal economics.

Totally agreed.
9 years