Gaining

Ethics: stuffing & starvation

Do you ever feel guilty buying new furniture or luxuries for your house/car/whatever when there are people who are homeless?
9 years

MakeFatter is right. The reasons some people don't get enough to eat are political and economic. No amount of fasting on your part will make any difference.

Let me also point out that many feedees are vegetarian and consume much less food than meat-eaters (even thin ones!), if you count all the livestock feed the meat-eaters put away indirectly.

Also some athletes put away lots of calories. Tour de France riders eat around 8000 calories a day. I don't hear anyone complaining about them.
9 years

Money that is spent on anything other than survival is money that could have been donated, technically. I don't know many people who live that way, do you? Never wasted a dime on anything but survival or donating it? Money spent on a DVD, video game, or lipstick could have been donated to worthier causes. I'm not saying people shouldn't donate, they should, but they don't need to feel guilty for eating.

People who overeat have no reason to feel bad about anything. If you literally take food away from someone who is starving, THEN you have something to feel bad about it, otherwise you don't. There is zero connection between how much Americans eat and starvation elsewhere. We have enough food to feed the entire world, the fact that we choose not to is another matter. In fact, most of the food in this country gets thrown away. It's not better for the environment or anything else for food to be thrown away vs. eaten.
9 years

One of the major cause of starvation is overpopulation. I do not understand how anyone could have children if they know they do not have the resources to feed them. Mother Teresa said, “How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers.”

In other words, the problem needs to be fixed in the countries and by the people who are experiencing the problems.
9 years