Fat experiences

Gym variations men vs women

Hey! Just a quick one: I made an impromptu visit to a big university gym recently. It's wholly unscientific, of course, but I have to say, in the gym, and around the uni in general, the girls definitely looked, on the whole, leaner and keener (in a platonic, exercise and awakeness sense) than the guys. And there was certainly no shortage of nonchalently potbellied male students accompanied by slim girls around.

Wonder if the same applies elsewhere. Is there more pressure than ever on young women to be slim, and still not much on guys? Be interested to know people's thoughts / experiences.
8 years

You have a good point. I have noticed, in the USA, that urban areas, the women are slimmer and workout. In rural areas, the guys are leaner and the women/girls heavier. It may just be the difference in work, more physical in rural, sedentary in urban (for men). Just a thought.
8 years

Good point. That makes sense, and I think it's probably true to an extent here in Britain too. Just my observation, but gyms and health seem fashionable amongst urban girls in particular. Guys, whether urban or rural, don't work out as much, but what manual labour jobs remain (there aren't so many these days) are mostly taken by men in rural areas, who are in better shape than their urban counterparts as a result.

As for universities, seems most people gain a little weight there. If male students do pick up more padding, my guess it's because they guzzle too much beer and pizza, while the girls tend to do shots and zumba.

(But I may just be paraphrasing a line from one of my stories there. smiley )
8 years