Gaining

Heavy cream is very sneaky

JackSteven:
'heavy' or double cream is just thicker than single cream, no more calories. The thinner stuff is more like milk so could be easier to drink.

Sorry Jack but I can't let this go unchallenged. Double cream has about 48% fat whereas heavy cream has about 36% and single cream around 18%. There is a correspondingly huge difference in calories too. You are of course correct in that in general the runnier it is the easier it is to drink. I have found a big difference between brands in Double Cream in the UK. For example the Jersey stuff I get from Spar tends to be thick whereas the double cream from Sainsburys or Tesco tends to be quite runny. Same fat content though at 48-50%.
3 years

JackSteven:
'heavy' or double cream is just thicker than single cream, no more calories. The thinner stuff is more like milk so could be easier to drink.

Curveman:
Sorry Jack but I can't let this go unchallenged. Double cream has about 48% fat whereas heavy cream has about 36% and single cream around 18%. There is a correspondingly huge difference in calories too. You are of course correct in that in general the runnier it is the easier it is to drink. I have found a big difference between brands in Double Cream in the UK. For example the Jersey stuff I get from Spar tends to be thick whereas the double cream from Sainsburys or Tesco tends to be quite runny. Same fat content though at 48-50%.

Going off the label on Tesco's Double and Single cream they are the same calories. Maybe the label is wrong or maybe we're not talking about the same thing.
3 years

JackSteven:

Curveman:

JackSteven:
Going off the label on Tesco's Double and Single cream they are the same calories. Maybe the label is wrong or maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

Are you sure you didn't miss also looking at serving size?

In the U.S., for heavy cream the label typically says 50 calories a serving. But a "serving" is only 1 tablespoon, or half a fluid ounce. Whereas for half & half, it says 40 calories per serving, which while that's not much below 50, is for 2 tablespoons, or 1 fluid ounce. So to really compare apples to apples, you have to convert serving sizes, proportionally.

Thus, 100 calories per fluid ounce of heavy cream (36%) vs. half & half which is 40 per fluid ounce (10.5%).

I kind of wish we had double cream that was runny, as it would be easier to either drink or mix into shakes.

The U.S. does have something called "manufacturing cream" which is 40%, and 60 calories per tablespoon, or 120 calories per fluid ounce. But almost no one sells it. Wish I knew where to get some.
3 years

Thanks, that's useful. The labelling, at least in the UK, is extremely confusing and I sympathise with anyone trying to understand them. However if you look at these links www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/262479533 and www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/262479533 you will see that double cream is 140 cals for a 30ml serving (467 cals per 100ml) whereas single cream has 58 calories per 30ml (194 cals per 100ml).

Mind you, a serving size of 30ml is a joke. My servings are 300ml (1400 cals)! Happy plumping!
3 years

JackSteven:

Curveman:

JackSteven:

ILuvChubbyChix:

In the U.S., for heavy cream the label typically says 50 calories a serving. But a "serving" is only 1 tablespoon, or half a fluid ounce. Whereas for half & half, it says 40 calories per serving, which while that's not much below 50, is for 2 tablespoons, or 1 fluid ounce. So to really compare apples to apples, you have to convert serving sizes, proportionally.

Thus, 100 calories per fluid ounce of heavy cream (36%) vs. half & half which is 40 per fluid ounce (10.5%).

I kind of wish we had double cream that was runny, as it would be easier to either drink or mix into shakes.

The U.S. does have something called "manufacturing cream" which is 40%, and 60 calories per tablespoon, or 120 calories per fluid ounce. But almost no one sells it. Wish I knew where to get some.

I think you're right about that. Looking in the website 100ml single cream is about 200kcal and double is over 400kcal, hence double.

Mind you Tesco's labelling is a bit crazy. Their cornbread description says it's made with corn flour. However hastily printed on the label it says 'contains wheat'. The ingredients listing does list wheat but does not list corn flour.

This maybe a result of COVID-19 since I'm sure it was OK a couple of months ago.
3 years

JackSteven:

Curveman:

JackSteven:

ILuvChubbyChix:

JackSteven:
I think you're right about that. Looking in the website 100ml single cream is about 200kcal and double is over 400kcal, hence double.

Mind you Tesco's labelling is a bit crazy. Their cornbread description says it's made with corn flour. However hastily printed on the label it says 'contains wheat'. The ingredients listing does list wheat but does not list corn flour.

This maybe a result of COVID-19 since I'm sure it was OK a couple of months ago.

For the avoidance of doubt: Double cream has a significantly higher fat content, and therefore calorie content, than single cream.

100ml of single cream contains approximately 190kcal, whereas 100ml of double cream contains 465kcal.

A standard 300ml pot of double cream contains 1395kcal.
3 years

how much heavy whipping cream did you drink?

You can use some dairy digestive (Lactaid) with it and some diphenhydramin (Bendryl) with it.
3 years

Side note. Started my second cycle of hc this week. Just doing 3 quarts a week, to keep it managable ( I can certainly tell changes are happening ) I want to keep going every week but going to break after this and give it time to settle in and not overwhelm myself. However I have noticed I crave it now. Prior , the taste of it almost made me sick, but I can now simply add a bit of Hershey chocolate syrup to the carton and drink it right out. I’ve spread the quart throughout the day and seems to do the trick. No overwhelming queasy feeling and I’m able to eat as I normally would. Changes are slowly happening for sure , this stuff is addicting
3 years

My tolerance for it has lowered recently. I'm integrating it into other things like my coffee and breakfast foods to tolerate it better.
3 years

Justachubbywannabe:
I tried a quart a day and managed to do it for 4 days before my entire body began to ache. Im guess i just over did a little maybe? Anyone else experience this? Im gonna go down to a pint a day this week

I would say a pint a day is probably a good amount. Don't stop eating everything else though. The cream should be on top of a good day's feeding and just before bed is the best time, I reckon.
3 years