Food and recipes

Anoush abour (sweet soup)

This is an Armenian holiday tradition. Here's a recipe I found online, and then I'll put my own variations below.

* 2 lbs wheat grain
* 1 lb sugar
* 1 lb walnuts and almonds
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1 lb seedless raisins (mix white and red)
* 2 tbsp cornstarch
* 2 qts water

Wash the wheat grains and cover in a pot with 2 quarts of water. Cook until the grains split. Remove from the fire and let it stand for one hour.

Add sugar, raisins, nuts, and cinnamon to the grain. Soften and dissolve a the cornstarch in a little lukewarm water and stir into the grain mixture.

Add more water as needed and cook for another five minutes.

Serve cold.

Variations:

-I use barley cuz I don't handle wheat well, and it tastes just as good.

-I substitute dried cranberries for the raisins. It looks prettier and I like the little bit of sour.

-I don't use the cornstarch, and I don't always add the nuts, or sometimes only one kind.

-I add cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves. Not at all necessary, but nice.

-I often serve it with either good, fullfat yogurt, sour cream, or creme fraiche.

**Makes a great breakfast, and it's always better the second day, so make ahead.
16 years

I'm sorry, loveto. I'll try it with the recipe again--long time since I measured while making it. If I figure out what's wrong, I'll post. Apologies!
16 years

OK, here's what I did, and it came out very successfully.

2 parts barley
1 part apricots
1 part raisins/sultanas/cranberries
1 part roasted walnuts and almonds
4 parts water
sugar, cinammon, allspice, nutmeg to taste (spices are optional)

Mix everything together in a big pot and let it soak overnight.
The next day, cook over low heat for an hour, until water is absorbed. Taste and see if the barley is cooked enough--if not, add more water and continue simmering. You should be sure that the barley is cooked enough, and there's no water, so add water sparingly and let it absorb fully before adding more. Be sure to stir constantly to avoid sticking on the bottom of the pan. It should take about 1-1.5 hours to cook completely.

Place on a windowsill or back pantry to cool. Serve at this temperature, with yogurt, cream, sour cream, or ice cream, if desired. Also makes a good breakfast, if heated.
15 years