Gaining

Womens fat vs. mens fat

Has anyone ever done a study as to why a womans fat gain is usually soft and hanging and a man just usually get's a large round belly? I have been slowly gaining but have mostly a rounded belly when I would prefer soft belly fat.
16 years

Womens fat vs. mens fat

well what about superfatbellyboy (Will)..... men can have subcutaneous fat and not just visceral... its just genetics and also what you eat
16 years

Womens fat vs. mens fat

Yea, what you eat can have a lot of effect on what your fat is like. Take people who drink a lot of beer, men and women alike, they tend to have firmer fat, and people who eat sugary foods and breads tend to gain gelatinous fat. Also things that are high in simpler fats such as butter and peanut butter can help build gelatinous fat.

But genes are the thing that truly govern how you gain fat, but age is also a factor. People who got fat fairly young, ranging from pre-teens to early twenties, generally have softer fat aswell.
16 years

Womens fat vs. mens fat

most of the difference between softer and firmer fat has to do with where the fat is being deposited. I posted on similar threads in the past but briefly.... if you build subcutaneous fat (fat under the skin) it will be softer. If you build visceral fat (fat inside the abdominal cavity, or under the muscles) it will be firmer because the fat is pushing out underneath firmer muscles.

Estrogen promotes subcutaneous fat deposition, as well as exercising and also people with high sensitivities to insulin will make this type of fat.

Testosterone and lower insulin sensitivity will lead to more visceral fat. Genetics also play a role, as does age. Younger people will be more likely to produce a firmer fat buildup because they have thicker skin and connective tissues.

Like previous posters have mentioned age, and genetics are the main players, but muscle mass will make the body firmer in general and lead to a more toned appearance.
16 years