Gaining

Does anyone else want to gain but feel like they can't?

What do you mean you can't gain? Have you tried?
5 years

I'm currently in the process of a multi stage procedure and while I'm not allowed to lose weight I can't gain any more weight because of future surgeries. It's giving me time to evaluate how I'm feeling, but it also kind of sucks because I feel like my body is just in an awkward not quite fat but not quite fit area.
5 years

I would include social/family/work related reason for "can't gain". I would love to let go, but two of the three above keep me in check.
5 years

I felt and feel the same way. I have always been a chubby kid but lost weight due to bullying at the age of 15. Dropped like 50 pounds ended up as a 140-150 pound 5 ft 10 guy, almost anorexic. I felt like shit. I didn’t want to gain because I thought everyone around me would hate me for it, social/family/work/school related. But I wanted to gain weight again so bad. To be fair I just said F you all and started gaining thinking it would only be a couple of pounds. But it went out of control and led to a 100 pound gain in 1 year! My parents were commenting on it when I had gained 40 pounds and they kept commenting on it all the way through, never in a bad way. But from everybody else, I heard nothing. Not at work, not at school, not socialy. My parents found out I was gaining on purpose, nightmare came true. But it only made things better. I’m currently 240-250 and taking a break because of my oarents knowledge about me wanting to get fat and I don’t want to hurt them. What I’m trying to say, just do it. I felt so much anxciety when I didn’t gain and it all went away as soon as I let go. Why don’t gain some and see how the world around you react, in most cases it’s not all that bad!
5 years

It’s hard... but I get you. At one side you want to have the body you’d like and gain, at the other you want to keep others happy by not gaining. I also don’t want to say those feelings of doubt will go away when you decide to gain. I still have days I don’t know if I like this choice I made. There are times I look in the mirror and think I’m too fat. But mostly I love my body the way it is. And if you are happy now, with being the size you are now and your relationship, why risk losing that? You could always decide to gain later in life. I had and have the liberty of being single, no close relationship appart from my family to worry about. I hope you find your answer soon.
5 years

The main thing that holds me back is probably my job. I walk about 5-7 miles a day because of it and I'm always on my feet. If I had a desk job, there's no way I wouldn't blimp up. I'd probably get quite a bit of attention, I'm not sure if it'd deter me, but there's no doubt I'd gain a whole lot of weight. I like where I'm at, but don't get me wrong, I love the idea of being bigger, just not the limitations that come with it. (I'm already noticing a difference with the ~30 lbs I put on in the last 7 months).
5 years

Yeah I feel this, gaining was going pretty easy for a while then I hit 310 and hit a wall, and I can't really afford to continuously provide myself with the food required. Plus male feedee, so not like I'm getting any help haha
5 years

I've known two young women who wanted to gain. Both were thin, both ate a lot, but they couldn't gain.

One of them then suddenly gained a lot of weight in less than two years, it was more then what she wanted, so she regretted it. It took her a lot of work to lose about half of it.

The other one is still unable to gain any weight at all.
5 years

I'm stuck at 230 been high as 240 but can't seem to get there. Eventually I want to get to 300 then from there make a goal to 500 if possible. Think it would be an awesome challenge but hard doing it alone.. There is no shortage of food being I live in Chicago. Time to get that pizza...
5 years

spooky666:
I definitely have that "f you" kind of attitude, but then I'm also terrified of what people think. At this point, it's mostly just my boyfriend. He's been with a bigger girl before, but his nickname for her is 'the whale.'

I just want to look nice for him, and I'm already really distressed by the stretch marks I have, so the idea of getting more sucks.

Honestly, if I told him "I want to gain 50 or so pounds," he probably wouldn't even care that much, more just concerned for my health, and I've kind of baited him a bit to get this info. I'm already terrified that he's going to leave me at any given moment, so I'd like to not give him any other reason to leave.

TJluvsbgbllys:
Do you really feel your in a healthy relationship? He calls the ex a whale.... you live in fear he'll leave if you gain because you'll then be in whale territory. What happened to loving you for you? It's your body. If you want to gain, gain. If you want to lose, lose.
You need to be happy with you first! BTW, stretch marks are very sexy!!!! Embrace them!

Forgive the bluntness, but it sounds like this guy isn't worth your time. I know that's easier said than done, but I think you should really consider dropping him. Everyone loves their partner and cares about how their decisions affect that person, but come on - at the end of the day you need someone who loves and appreciates you, and knows how to be kind to others. Not being kind is a huge turn off for me. You need to be yourself - and a great person who complements you will come when you are doing what you do - for yourself!
Sorry to be preachy, that's just my take. Don't stand for this BS. You're a grown woman and don't need to be with a child.
5 years
12   loading