General

Curing obesity?

Often a headline comes up that scientists found a way to make it very easy to lose weight.

Many in this community might be saddened if it became true, but I would actually welcome it. Why? Because then if I met fat people, I would know that they are fat on purpose and they enjoy it.

In today's world it's often very awkward to really find out if someone is interested in getting fat, or would enjoy being fat. If it was much easier to lose weight, only those who really like it, would be fat. We could find them more easily. smiley
5 years

Curing obesity?

They have been trying for years, and are not even close to a "cure." Some people were just meant to be big. And when they lose weight temporarily, the metabolism slows down to compensate for the lack of food.
5 years

Curing obesity?

The problem with this is that science has no incentive to "cure obesity." Treating every intersecting condition it a trillion dollar industry, that's before we even get into the diet industry which funds all the research.
It would be awesome if they did, so our only weight related medical worry would be immobility.
5 years

Curing obesity?

If they did cure obesity or even find new ways of genuinely helping people to lose weight then the results would be catastrophic for the obese community. I understand the benefit of an outwardly visible cue that reveals something about a persons personality. But if obese people were a drastically shrinking minority then any remainers would be met with extreme prejudice. A large section of society already vie for more brutal action to be applied to fat people. There simply wouldn't be a way of living a normal life as a fat person.

I still believe that the best thing is to hope obesity rates rise. The more familiar obesity is the more people will accept it and the easier it will be for obese people to fit in.

If someone saw a very fat person in a society that had cured obesity the question of 'why?' would lead them to obsess about it. How can that person be so fat? The fat person would probably be approached daily by strangers who couldn't figure it out. Their family would be constantly encouraging them to conform to societies standards. The media would want to interview them because they were such a controversial oddity. What normal person could put up with such attention (mostly negative)?
5 years

Curing obesity?

Apparition:
A large section of society already vie for more brutal action to be applied to fat people.

I see a very close resemblance to how homosexuality is/was handled.

It seems the majority of people want to be brutal against some group, any group. And now since a strong media pressure and very successful propaganda in the West made it sure that it's a career destroying move to be negative towards homosexuality, now people have to find another target. So they now take arms up against fat people.

If you somehow make it illegal or at least unfashionable to be hostile against a group, people will find another, less protected group to be hostile against.

It's sad, but it seams that's how reality works smiley
5 years