General

What would you think of a reinvention of cinderella?

Where she becomes fat, confident, and bossy? She also gets the handsome prince.
5 years

I don’t really think Disney films need to be rewritten to say things like “happily ever after doesn’t mean married.” This is what fresh stories are for. If you would rewrite an older story why not just make a new story with the themes and ideas you want instead of “fixing” a fan favorite. I don’t even like Cinderella or Little Mermaid and I still don’t think it needs to be changed.

I know there was a big push to have a gay Disney prince/princess a while back but the point that was made was simple to show that there is no way for Disney to do this without seeming as though Disney would be trying to capitalize on a social movement. The same thing goes for rewriting a story to change what happy endings mean or what it is to be bigger.
4 years

Jagger is a boss:
I just wish they would do less computer/realistic animations and maybe make some more movies with the old style where it looked hand drawn even if it takes longer (but that's just me)

I would totally agree. The old hand drawn stuff looks damn amazing. I would imagine it's still being done by someone.
4 years

Jagger is a boss:
I just wish they would do less computer/realistic animations and maybe make some more movies with the old style where it looked hand drawn even if it takes longer (but that's just me)

I don't want to say this will never happen, but there's a reason this is unlikely to happen again, primarily as a function of cost, because of new technical capabilities and expectations.

These arguments are listed from weak to strong.

Old televisions had lower resolutions than newer ones do, so the drawings were probably easier to make, as imperfections were probably less visible. Higher resolutions probably mean creating larger drawings. Larger drawings take exponentially more effort to create. If you're talking about old style watercolor paint for each drawing, any mistake means starting over. Even professionals can make mistakes.

TVs also used to be 24 frames per second, then 30. Old cartoons, every single frame had to be drawn by hand. Now, 60 is expected, with some content being 120. If you're expecting 60 FPS content, it would take twice as long as to produce the drawings and make the film. Same chronological time? Probably even more cost for overtime and very long workdays to make it happen.

This is probably why later cartoons usually have a more detailed static background with only the characters themselves, and objects they will interact with soon, are animated, to reduce costs or time to release.

Eventually, computer technology has gotten both cheap and fast enough for more CGI. I can almost guarantee that one graphic artist, with his very high powered PC, could do the work of I don't know how many full-time cartoonists in terms of frames produced. It's just cheaper.

For a long time, films had special effects whereas TV shows didn't, due to computer cost and speed, but now TV shows have them too, even for series where episodes are released weekly.

Now I'll admit, it's a different aesthetic, and it feels differently. This is why paper books (and even physical newspapers) still exist when e-books/PDFs/web sites are cheaper, why some folks still ride horses (albeit more for sport and recreation, and not for practical day to day usage) when motor vehicles are better in every way. Hell, why some folks will sometimes hand write letters when it's quicker to type and sign them. There's many more examples.

But, it just costs more to produce. Going forward, I don't expect many new ones to be released. The ones that are, I expect would come out of smaller, more independent studios for the more artistic aspect. I would be surprised if Disney and the like were to make any new ones.
4 years