Lifestyle tips

Visceral fat and subcutaneus fat

Hello, i wanna know if having visceral fat or subcutaneus was only genetics or it depends by what do you eat. I saw an article and it told that potatatoes, french fries and diet coke makes you gain visceral fat and olive oil and other "good" fats makes you gain subcutaneus fat. Is this real? And what's the difference?
5 years

becomingoverweight:
Fat distribution is also affected by what foods you eat, not just your genetics. For example, somebody who overeats lots of fructose, soybean oil, and alcohol would gain a lot of visceral fat whereas someone who overeats a lot of olive oil and dairy products(excluding ice cream due to high sugar content) would mainly gain subcutaneous fat. There have been quite a few scientific studies on how food affects fat distribution and I'll try to post some later.

There are many differences between subcutaneous and visceral fat. Visceral fat deposits under your abdominal muscles around your internal organs. As a result of this, excess visceral fat feels hard to the touch and makes your belly protrude. It looks like a ball/beer belly. When visceral fat expands, it does so by making the fat cells get larger. This changes the adipokine secretions of the fat cells from healthy to unhealthy. The result of this is metabolic syndrome. It also causes ectopic fat to begin depositing in your organs and intramuscular fat to begin depositing in your muscles. Both are bad for your health. In short, excess visceral fat is very bad for your health and I do not recommend gaining it.

Subcutaneous fat on the other hand is way more benign. It deposits under your skin all over your body. As a result, it is very soft and jiggly. Excess subcutaneous fat makes you look chubby and gives you a pear shape. When subcutaneous fat expands, it does so by make more cells of the same size. As a result, the adipokine secretions of the fat cells remain healthy. Because of this, excess subcutaneous fat isn't bad for your metabolic health.

If you're looking to gain weight to become overweight or obese, I recommend trying to gain only subcutaneous fat. Based on the scientific studies I've read and testimonies from gainers drinking heavy cream, I've determined overeating only dairy products is the healthiest way to gain. I wouldn't use milk to gain due to it being one of the more sugary pure dairy products. I would stick to various creams and cheeses. I must admit I don't know the effect of lactose on fat distribution and it may not negatively affect it. I'm not sure though. I hope all this helped.

Thanks! But just for fun, what food makes you gain visceral fat? And only dairy products makes you gain subcutaneus? Bread and Pasta?
5 years

NobodyJustForFun:
Thanks! But just for fun, what food makes you gain visceral fat? And only dairy products makes you gain subcutaneus? Bread and Pasta?

becomingoverweight:
My understanding is that most foods make you gain a combination of subcutaneous and visceral fat. Those foods I mentioned would make you gain visceral fat simply make you gain way more visceral fat than subcutaneous fat. They are notable because their effect on fat distribution is far worse than most other foods. I'm not entirely sure what the effect of complex carbohydrates are on fat distribution. I know whole grain is better for your fat distribution than white. The main reason I suggest using dairy to gain are all the studies on dairy's beneficial effects on metabolic health and fat distribution. Olive oil is pretty healthy too and would probably be another safe way to gain.

Where i live, i can't buy heavy cream... cheese is good?
5 years

NobodyJustForFun:
Where i live, i can't buy heavy cream... cheese is good?

becomingoverweight:
Yeah, cheese is good. Things like other fatty creams are good too. You seem to be Italian so I'd try looking for panna da montare or even better, doppia panna. You can see what creams are sold in Italy here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream#Switzerland

Thanks! Are there other food that makes you gain subcutaneus fat?
5 years

HectorSpectre:
I saw this article, but it really ground my gears when it said they were fed "low-fat milk".

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170913193146.htm

Anything that is "low-fat" is a tasteless, insipid ABOMINATION.

ABOMINATION.

becomingoverweight:
I am inclined to agree. You may be please to know that there are quite a few scientific studies which come to the conclusion that whole-fat dairy is better for your health than low-fat.

Effect of a high intake of cheese on cholesterol and metabolic syndrome: results of a randomized trial

Total and Full-Fat, but Not Low-Fat, Dairy Product Intakes are Inversely Associated with Metabolic Syndrome in Adults

BTW, I am mostly done reformatting a collection of scientific studies on fat that I have been keeping for a while now. When I'm done I'll post them here.

Please due, I would love to read them.
5 years