General

Compendium of fat studies

I have no idea what to take away from these articles :/
5 years

This is really awesome. In college I read so many nutrition studies, but not many like these! Science can be sexy...

Thanks!
5 years

becomingoverweight:
I like science and fat

If I’d read that on a lady’s Tinder profile, I’d know I’d found The One.

Anyway, superb work my friend. Absolutely top drawer. It would be helpful if, over time, we could begin to condense and edit some of the information contained within these studies into a more accessible form. Kind of like examine.com, but for kinky fatties and their lovers.
5 years

Wow! Now that'san interesting post !
5 years

Thanks for all of this, Becoming!
5 years

Some Tormented FA:
I have no idea what to take away from these articles :/

I'm plowing through them now. Good job, Becomingoverweight!
5 years

very cool
5 years

thanks for this material - very educational, and very informative!

and in the right hands, very useful! smiley
5 years

I haven’t read all of your scientific articles yet. However, as a health professional, I am always told to measure people’s BMI, using a height vs weight ratio. If someone’s BMI puts them in the ‘obese’ category, I am supposed to give weight loss advice. If someone is morbidly obese, I am supposed to stress the affects that being morbidly obese may have on the body - hypertension, risk of myocardial infarction, risk of CVA or TIA, risk of developing type two diabetes and the consequent complications of that if not properly controlled (diabetic retinopathy, diabetic neuropathy and diabetic nephropathy). Blah, blah, blah!
However, I have major issues with BMI’s and how they are measured.
1. Apparently the BMI as a means of measuring a body size was invented to grade the survivors of the nazi concentration camps. Therefore, it concentrated on the grading of people being underweight and not overweight.
2. Someone who is fit and well muscled with no signs of a paunch may, on the BMI calculations, be classed as being overweight or even obese. This is complete rubbish! Muscle weighs more than fat! There is a way of calculating BMI using callipers to measure skin thicknesses, which takes muscle into account, however, most healthcare professionals are not taught how to use this method.
3. I prefer to use ‘common sense’ instead of BMI. For instance, you have two people of the same height and build. However, both of them are out of proportion. The first one has long legs and a short body. The second one has short legs and a long body. Of course, the second one is going to weight more because a body weighs more than legs do!
If you have someone who has a large head size, they are going to weigh more than someone with a smaller head because a bigger skull is going to weigh more (not including the tissue inside).
4. Several years ago, I was classed as being morbidly obese. I lost 5 stones. A significant weight loss, but I was still classed as morbidly obese and still had a significant amount of weight to lose just to get into the orange zone from the red zone. That’s hardly encouraging.
I have since put all five stones back on and I am still in tge morbidly obese category.
4 years