Gaining

Impatience

I was so sure that I breached 330 pounds today. I found a scale kiosk at a drug store. Hopefully that would be accurate and not prone to wild swings like the consumer-grade bathroom scales I've been using. But, alas, I was only 327. But I am up three pounds from last month, so there's that.

Does anyone else here get this way? I want to be gaining at least five to eight pounds a month.
5 years

Impatience

What does everyone consider a NON-consumer scale? How do you determine a scales accuracy?
5 years

Impatience

boundandfeed:
What does everyone consider a NON-consumer scale? How do you determine a scales accuracy?

The problem I keep having with scales is that readings may be clustered around the true weight, but can vary by 10 pounds either way. This is decent accuracy but dreadful precision. Frequently I find dreadful accuracy too.

To determine a scale's accuracy, you repeatedly place a calibration weight on the scale and write down the reading. Add them up and divide by number of readings. Now check the difference between the result and the true weight of the calibration weight. That's your measure of accuracy.

Precision is also important. Look at your reading and see how far each of them are from the average reading. That's your measure of precision. You can have all your readings in a tight group, but far off the real number and still be "precise".

Google for precision vs accuracy for more on this, especially bullseyes.
5 years