General

To greet or not to greet that is the question!

It has been brought to my attention that someone reported my greeting people as "SPAM".I have greeted people ever since I 1st came to FF.From a personal point of view,I'd rather come into a room & be greeted(even if it's the only words on the screen)than to just see names scrolling by & feel like no one even cares.I have been asked to"tone it down".That's just not me.How do you feel about being greeted?Please reply.To those that feel no,do not fear I'm NOT judgemental.Just curious.
5 years

See Drago the issue with what you do is that it is spam, you greet every single person you see. You can and should greet people but not one by one, say hi to the room. Only say hi to a specific person if they say hi first. It's not hard to grasp and I feel even down to this post here you are purposefully ignoring what you are told in order to annoy parts of the sites members because you have been here a long while. You are part of the reason I avoid the chat at certain times of the day. So honestly my answer is no your greetings don't leave me feeling welcome but in fact the opposite.
5 years

I've tried to talk to you about it before, and tried to explain why it made me and others uncomfortable.
I'm hoping that this can be a moment of growth for you, where you can learn to take constructive criticism instead of doubling down on the things that people have problems with.

I don't know who made the report, but I'll buy a drink for whoever did
5 years

I appreciate the input from all.Old habits die hard & things do change.Not saying I'm going to stop but I may adapt a little more.Will be thinking about things.Either way I've been here a long time & not planning on leaving again any time soon....lol
5 years

Everyone is being a bunch of babies. I have know Rat long before there was FF, long before Dimensions. To almost the start of time it self, on IRC (Internet Chat Relay for the kiddies). After all that all the chat is, is a chat relay.

One of problems is chatting is NO MSG, just ppl going in and out. This is a problem even back on IRC. Rat is out to keep the chat going. Now he forget that what he is doing is not need when the chat is jumping, but when it not, he only out to get the chat kick started.

He knows I dont like pointed out when I enter. It took me some time to get him to stop when I enter. If you tell him you dont want it, he will quit like he did with me.

Get Off His Back!

HoF
5 years

While a polite greeting is nice the sheer volume of them you put out makes the general chat functionally unusable to the point that many people just stay in PMs when you start. Continuing a coherent conversation during the tide of greetings is harder than it should be. This is why people turn off the join/leave notifications. We don't want to know whenever anyone joins the chat, it's far less an issue of you being personally greeted its that the greetings dissuade anyone else from actually engaging in conversation. If you are dead set on greeting each and every person then send them a private message, reply to if they say Hello or petition the site owner for a bot that can achieve the same function without causing the same mass disruption. I am sorry if I come across as blunt but when you start filling chat with greetings many people just stop using it.
5 years