Food and recipes

Rice and beans with sausage and greens

Ok, so this is a REALLY easy but REALLY popular recipe I've come up with for anything from church potlucks to family dinners.

It's endlessly customizable, too! But this is how I make it, because I LOVE to cook, but lately I've gotten super lazy because real life has gone nuts.

4 cups of white rice
1 carton of chicken stock (you CAN use broth but I like stock better. It has more flavor in my opinion)
Smoked Sausage
1 can of red kidney/chili beans
1 large can of seasoned greens (there are several varieties and I prefer turnip, but any one will work fine)
Salt
Pepper
Seasonings of choice

I can NEVER cook good rice on the stove, so I use my Instant Pot. I put in my rice and then pour in the entire carton of chicken stock. I then add my salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, sazon, and just a tiny bit of liquid smoke. But you can stick with plain salt and pepper or add any spices you like.
I then set the timer to 7 minutes.

While the rice is cooking, I chop up my sausage and fry it. If you want to add any onions, peppers, or fresh diced garlic, toss it in with your sausage. If you have some spare bacon grease from a prior meal, this is a good time to use it.

Drain your cans of beans and greens while everything else is cooking.

When the sausage is nicely browned and just a LITTLE caramelized (careful not to burn it!), dump it into your rice, which should also be finished by then. Dump in the beans and greens and mix thoroughly. The heat from the freshly cooked rice AND sausage will heat up the beans and seasoned greens while you mix it.

Serve immediately!

This dish is even easier than the directions make it sound, it's cheap, and you won't be able to stop eating it because it tastes sooooo good! Even I have trouble stopping when I make this.
And like I said, it's easily customizable! You can add mushrooms, veggies, brown rice instead of white, add hot sauce, the sky is the limit! The only problem is that no matter HOW much of it I make, there's never any left overs! LOL
5 years