Gaining

How to gain sat and lose vat

This should honestly be a sticky. This is incredibly useful information that I wouldn't have known otherwise. Thanks for compiling this information!
4 years

Thank you for the information. So is there any way to shift the fat around? Or loose visceral fat while gaining subcutaneous?
4 years

Ok, I will try and add those to my diet. I hate this hard belly.
4 years

fatjedi:

Hammertime44:
Take two lactase pills and mix chocolate syrup and a pint of heavy cream and drink it 15 min before bed.... try and fall asleep before the Rush happens. 30 mins after first sip I get this warm fuzz feeling. It�s like I feel myself growing fatter

Oooo. Ok. So WHat does the lactase do? Im guessing thats Lactaid and offbrands of the same?
4 years

Hammertime44:
Just helps digest the cream. If your new and don�t take it you may have bathroom issues in the morning. Just kinda takes the edge off so you dont crap your pants lololol

HA! Yeah I need all teh help I can get there.
4 years

Hammertime44:
Seems like heavy cream for me atleast, is making my fast food and junk food binges show but I feel like the cream is taking 25% of the visceral fat I�m getting and adding it to the subcutaneous fat. My love handles, lower belly, fupa, hips, thighs are getting the brunt. Around my nether region is blowing up!

So do you think you're still gaining visceral fat or do you think you're losing it?

fatjedi:

becomingoverweight:
I'd recommend you mainly focus on losing the visceral fat. If you're 315 pounds due to excess visceral fat then it doesn't bode well for your metabolic health. Visceral fat is the kind of fat which causes metabolic syndrome in excessive amounts. Subcutaneous fat, on the other hand, is pretty much harmless and somewhat protective in excess.

I think the best way for you to lose visceral fat would be by using that hypocaloric diet I mentioned. I could be wrong though. Maybe overeating stearic acid would be more effective.

During the diet, as you lose weight, your leptin levels will drop. This might make you rather hungry since you have leptin resistance and impede your visceral fat loss. This may not happen much though as leptin resistance is intensified by metabolic syndrome if I remember correctly. So as you lose weight and your metabolic health improves, your leptin resistance will go down and pose less of an issue. If it does pose an issue, I suggest gaining some subcutaneous fat. This will elevate your leptin levels again.

Thats the scary part, but it may be for the best.
4 years

fatjedi:
So is there any way to shift the fat around? Or loose visceral fat while gaining subcutaneous?

Uneducated guess--time might be a factor; there's been plenty of posts over the years of folks saying that a few months after a fast gain, their fat softened up a lot, though their weight remained the same.

I don't know if that phenomenon is supported by any literature, but it seems intuitive, if we conceptualize VAT as "fast access" fat and SAT as "slow access/backup/reserve"--if you spend a long time with VAT that doesn't get burnt off, maybe your body comes to understand that it won't be needing that energy any time soon, so moves it to more permanent storage.

Again, just a guess. I don't have evidence for that.
4 years

best way to have more subcutaneous and less visceral is EXERCISE.

caloric excess results in roughly 70% visceral and 30% subcutaneous

burning calories through physical activity burns roughly 70% visceral and 30% subcutaneous.

it is soooo easy to out-eat exercise and by eating at a caloric surplus, you'll be gaining both, and then with exercise burning most of the visceral fat. this is why so many thin gainers just look pregnant, because they don't bother and just get a ton of hard belly fat. also the reason why the traditional "fat chick" body is common in people who gain slowly over years is the gradual burning of calories (i.e. visceral fat) in small amounts through they're every day living.

also it makes you feel better and effectively nullifies every health issue brought on by body fat.
4 years

bangs15:
best way to have more subcutaneous and less visceral is EXERCISE.

caloric excess results in roughly 70% visceral and 30% subcutaneous

burning calories through physical activity burns roughly 70% visceral and 30% subcutaneous.

Oh interesting—can you point me to some research?
4 years

I think Bangs15 is very right.

This is evident in Sumo wrestlers as well. Below all the SAT, their bodies are quite athletic. Meaning they have very little VAT. This is due to their strenuous exercise, combined with massive amounts of calories. There are some articles and a documentary about this too iirc.

becomingoverweight:
Also, if weight gain and exercise worked the way you say it does, then someone who overeats and gains 10 pounds would gain 7 pounds of visceral fat and 3 pounds of subcutaneous fat. If they then exercise the weight off, they'll lose 7 pounds of visceral fat and 3 pounds of subcutaneous fat. Since they're right back where they started, this defeats the purpose of gaining.

Well if you burn it all, yes. But if you're a gainer, you should still be eating more calories than what you burn via exercising, that's how gaining works after all. What it does is that it converts the VAT to SAT, that's what he means.

You don't have to go crazy with exercise if that's not your thing. But I think doing some will convert it over time.
4 years
12   loading