Food and recipes

Ultimate grilled cheese sandwiches

Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Featuring three cheeses, bacon, fried onions, and seasoning for flavor. Ingredients listed are for 6 sandwiches with regular size bread OR 4 sandwiches with the middle section of rounds.

INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 A large Yellow Onion
- 1-2 Cups Milk or Buttermilk
- 1 Cup of Flour
- 1 Package of Thick Cut Bacon (+ Veg. Oil)
- Sliced or Rounded Sourdough (more dense) or french sourdough bread (less dense). I use french.
- 1 1/2 Cups Butter, Softened
- Package of Sliced Cheddar Cheese
- Package of Sliced Muenster Cheese
- Package of Sliced Provolone Cheese
- Seasoning: Dried Rosemary (Tbsp), Dried Minced Garlic (Tbsp), Ground Pepper (1 1/2 Tsp), and Sea Salt (1 1/2 Tsp) mixture. Or use your own smiley

INSTRUCTIONS
1. FRIED ONIONS: Slice onion in half down the middle (top to bottom) then into very thin pieces. The larger half rings should be cut in half. Once down place in a bowl and pour milk or buttermilk until covered. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
2. BACON: Cut bacon slices in half then cook in oil over medium heat until it starts to brown then set done pieces aside on a paper towel. DO NOT turn oil off, instead turn to medium high.
3. FRIED ONIONS: As you are finishing up bacon, pour flour onto a plate or a clean surface, then pull onions out of bowl and coat with flour. Once done, dump them in oil and push around continuously until they just barely start to turn brown, then remove and place on a paper towel. Remove oil from heat.
4. SANDWICHES: Preheat oven to 175 and place a cooking sheet in the oven, middle shelf.
5. SANDWICHES: If you are using a griddle, set it to 350. If you are using a pan, set the burner to medium.
6. SANDWICHES: Take bread, two slices at a time and spread butter on one side, then place on griddle or in pan, butter the other side and sprinkle with seasoning.
7. SANDWICHES: Flip over after a few minutes, until side facing down starts to brown, then assemble the rest of the sandwich ... fried onions, then cheeses (I do the cheddar in the middle), the bacon and then, flip the other piece of bread on top.
8. SANDWICHES: Cook for a few minutes, until side facing down starts to brown, then flip and do the other side. Once both sides are brown, put on pan in oven to keep warm and let the cheese get all gooey while you make the rest. They won't overcook!

P.S. I usually start a second sandwich going once the first one has everything stacked on it.
4 years
attachment
attachment
attachment
attachment

I tried your recepy today and the sandwiches are sooooo tasty!!! But my god are they heavy and fattening... If I counted right one of those has about 1000kcal!
4 years

Oh, that is a really nice recipe. Thank you for sharing. smiley For that cold days to come.
4 years