Extreme obesity

Immobile/almost immobile/ssi benefits

If im pushing some big numbers and having trouble getting around, is "obesity" disability check worthy or do i have to near completely impaired
4 years

Sorry, but simply being "obese" is insufficient.

I suggest just forgetting about this idea entirely, unless it's literally the only option you have.

I'm answering this question as it relates to the U.S., since that's where I live and where you seem to live. This answer may or may not be applicable elsewhere.

Disability payments are often very hard to qualify for, with the typical outcome of many who in fact probably should get it, won't.

Even if the application is successful, it will take many months, and the amount is not particularly generous. You can't support yourself on it, although you would be covered under Medicare.

Heard of one kid who I guess might have some sort of very major mental disorder of some sort? He gets $800/mo., that's it. I guess he stays with family.

The most generous benefit I've heard of is around $1,000, which is similarly insufficient.

One case I've heard of, this old lady got a $750ish check, of which HALF of it went to rent on what was basically a toolshed. This was in very rural, highly depressing West Virginia, and she had to work illegally, while undergoing horrendous pain. Illegal in the sense that taking the job is taken as evidence that you are able to work and thus, not so disabled as to need the payment.

Basically, the standards are such that you'd have to very far up shit creek without a paddle before you could even dream of qualifying, and even then you might not get it.

I don't know what assistance you might be able to get if money problems make it a challenge to obtain special equipment but those programs should be out there. For example, how a low wage worker who can't walk could obtain a wheelchair and thus, be able to be a functional member of society.
4 years

It is not ethical, but they should give those disability payments to obese people.
I am not immobile, but I have a high degree of disability.
No one would give a job to an obese person of 600lbs without a university study.
Most jobs require physical effort and a person with 600 lbs cannot perform those functions.
No one would hire such a fat person and assume the risk of paying in the future the salary of a non-working employee
4 years

Romy:
It is not ethical, but they should give those disability payments to obese people.
I am not immobile, but I have a high degree of disability.
No one would give a job to an obese person of 600lbs without a university study.
Most jobs require physical effort and a person with 600 lbs cannot perform those functions.
No one would hire such a fat person and assume the risk of paying in the future the salary of a non-working employee

I'm not sure what you mean by "university study?" There's research studies, and then there's university programs where one could get a Bachelor's degree or even a Master's.

But you're right, most reasonably well paying jobs that require little physical effort typically require a university education. Manual labor jobs in general are going away. There should still be some office jobs that don't require a degree but those are also slowly going away, it seems. Yet little movement has been made to adjust the high school curriculum.

There's also a strong argument to increase welfare benefits as the ROI on the economy is so high it's not even funny. The ultra poor when given money, will typically spend it, with a positive effect on the economy as more spending is good, with a ripple effect.

Some fear that expanding this would lead more to give up on work but such fears are mostly unfounded. It's extremely uncommon for anyone to not want to be self sufficient, and the payment sizes would still be a joke anyway, ensuring no one willingly wants that. But it would make a positive difference for anyone that such an individual would live with, as the payments could help offset additional household expenses.
4 years

I'm on SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance, NOT SSI - Supplemental Security Income) due to mental disabilities. I'm happy to answer questions about being on disability, but I can say that extreme obesity alone is definitely NOT enough to get on disability, that they're very clear about that in the documentation. (Sorry, all you folks with King Sized Homer fantasies.)

Also, the amount you get depends on your work history. I had enough work history to receive SSDI. If you don't, and you still qualify as disabled and poor enough, what you get is SSI. People on SSDI get Medicare, people on SSI get Medicaid. (There's some edge cases where you can get both.)

There IS an amount you can work every month (hours and/or money) and still receive SSI or SSDI (in fact, there's even programs to encourage disabled people to try working by giving them better health insurance or by automatically giving them their disability back if they fail) but it's a very complicated formula, and it's even trickier if your work is owning your own business/working for yourself.
3 years