Food and recipes

How to get rid of fishy smell

Usually fish tastes "fishier" the longer it is off the boat. If your fish is tasting really fishy ... it might not be very fresh.
4 years

Foremost, just use a fish that doesn't smell fishy. It's the oil that smells like fish; the oiler the fish, the more pungent the smell.

There's a reason Tilapia has exploded in popularity over the last 10 years. Basically tastes like nothing and assimilates the flavors you cook with it. It's also why head chefs at high-end restaurants outright refuse to cook with it, for the same reasons with the lack of fish flavor.

Flounder and catfish are not nearly as neutral as Tilapia but are super mild and readily available, as are rainbow trout and haddock.

Lots of acidity – typically from lemon juice or vinegar based hot sauce kills most fish smell as well.
4 years

Bicepsual:
Foremost, just use a fish that doesn't smell fishy. It's the oil that smells like fish; the oiler the fish, the more pungent the smell.

There's a reason Tilapia has exploded in popularity over the last 10 years. Basically tastes like nothing and assimilates the flavors you cook with it. It's also why head chefs at high-end restaurants outright refuse to cook with it, for the same reasons with the lack of fish flavor.

Flounder and catfish are not nearly as neutral as Tilapia but are super mild and readily available, as are rainbow trout and haddock.

Lots of acidity – typically from lemon juice or vinegar based hot sauce kills most fish smell as well.

On a cruise to the Caribbean, I learned that tilapia is a man made fish, not a natural one, and even though they farm it to sell to the US, the locals won’t eat it themselves. I thought thought that was interesting.
4 years

ChubbyHubby:
On a cruise to the Caribbean, I learned that tilapia is a man made fish, not a natural one, and even though they farm it to sell to the US, the locals won’t eat it themselves. I thought thought that was interesting.

They're farmed, if that's what you mean by 'man-made'. Naturally they're bottom feeders. And so they're the perfect farming fish since they can live in ultra-populated dense, dirty waters and cost so little to feed. They literally feed them pig manure!

It's funny to see master chefs refuse to carry it on their menus but get yelled at by rich female guests astounded why it wouldn't be on the menu! "It's the most popular trendy fish! The only one I'll eat!!"
4 years

LOL - If only people knew!

That does make a little more sense than the way it was explained to me
4 years