Lifestyle tips

Is it easier to gain weight as you become fatter

Yeah this
4 years

It sure is
4 years

It depends on how big you get and how many calories you cram in.

The larger you grow, the more energy your muscles require to facilitate tasks such as getting up, walking, and standing around. This is not exclusive to skeletal muscles either, it applies to other organs.

The more work you must do, the more energy is required.
4 years

I'd say "kinda no". I've been stuck at 310-320 for a few years. I really want to gain a lot more weight, but I'm having trouble getting the weight to stick around.
4 years

BellyBadger:
It depends on how big you get and how many calories you cram in.

The larger you grow, the more energy your muscles require to facilitate tasks such as getting up, walking, and standing around. This is not exclusive to skeletal muscles either, it applies to other organs.

The more work you must do, the more energy is required.

True
4 years

nofbar:
I'd say "kinda no". I've been stuck at 310-320 for a few years. I really want to gain a lot more weight, but I'm having trouble getting the weight to stick around.

Sucks. I hope you will be able to go over this barrier.
4 years

nofbar:

Duvruklopa777:

Yeah. I really hope I can break past 400 pounds by next January.
4 years

nofbar:

Duvruklopa777:

nofbar:
Yeah. I really hope I can break past 400 pounds by next January.

Good luck! smiley Also any advice on diet (preferably cheap enough, so I can keep it consistent)
4 years

ShakesSphere:
When I first started gaining at around 250, I gained very slowly at first. I was totally stuffing myself a couple days a week at lunch buffets mostly.
The second phase was around 260 or 270 when my gaining accelerated. It seemed like I was eating the same amount but more of it stuck. I was putting on 2 pounds a week for most of the year but losing a few pounds in summer because the heat kills my appetite.
The third phase was decelerating gain, again with no change in intake. Now at 420 pounds I have to eat as much as I can at every meal just to maintain.

Wow 2 pounds a week is quite fast. Thank you
4 years

I'm inclined to think it is easier for awhile, as long as you can maintain the additional eating. Aside from anything related to food, the biggest, most annoying expense everyone will deal with is clothing.

When I started, the first 10 lbs were hard. The next 10 lbs seemed a little easier, and the next 10 were easier still. However, I seem to have hit a plateau which I hope to break out of. I suspect this latest plateau might be more psychological, though. After another 10-15 lbs, I will be officially overweight according to BMI. Most Americans are indeed overweight, but still.. it's something, to realize that I will be too.

I wonder if there will be a similar psychological barrier if and when I'm about to cross the threshold of being obese, according to BMI. Although if you look around, a BMI of 30 still isn't really that big.

I think it's because of my body and digestive tract getting used to more food, and fattier food.

At a certain point you will probably be unable to consume enough calories to keep gaining, though. Or other practical problems will develop. But you would have to be at a very substantial size for that to be a problem.

Most folks will never get that big.
4 years
12   loading