Lifestyle tips

Slowing down

Around 180 is when my wife started needing breaks when on long walks/amusement parks.

After 200 is when life was basically moving from couch to fridge to chair. Even casually talking in the kitchen while standing became rare; she always wanted to be on the couch "taking a load off".
4 years

Slowing down

195 lbs was still walk around the block weight for my wife. If you CRAWL around the block you could probably do it in 10-15 minutes. Walking? 5 minutes?

Last time we did that, at 215 lbs, that was a 20-30 minute walk, including a break to rest for the endevaor.

Inside, she's completely sedentary, only getting up to go from the bed to a chair or to the toilet. But that's partly also because I prevent any physical activity. I do the groceries, the household, the cooking, the serving of food, everything. "No, stay, I'll do it...you deserve it", with the funny thing being THAT she actually feels as if she did a lot and needs a moment to sit.

Helps me keep her at a steady weight even though she's slowed down her food intake
4 years

Slowing down

John Smith:
How tall is your wife? My former feedee is about less 5'8" tall.

5'3". Pretty short. She looks a lot fatter than the number would convey because of her height and previous thin frame.
4 years

Slowing down

FattyFat25:
At what weight did you notice yourself slowing down because of your weight?

Honestly, now. I'm 180lb and I get winded by taking the stairs for one flight of stairs. I also keep winding myself trying to walk too fast. I can still walk plenty long distance. It's just I'm trying to do so faster than I can. :/

This might be an age thing too though.
4 years

Slowing down

Well, I'm 180 now, at 5'5 and I'm having a lot of trouble doing even 1 sit up. My pace is definitely slowing down and my friends walk faster than me, while I pant trying to catch up. Stairs are getting WAY harder. And I've had to start waddling a little because my thighs rub too much!
4 years

Slowing down

My wife is 5'6" and was still a pretty quick walker up through 215 or so, and only a bit slow into the 230s -- when still in her twenties.

Now in her late 40s, in the 230s I'd guess, she has slowed down a lot. Bad knees are part of it, but even on good days with her knees she quickly gets winded if trying to keep up with the flow of pedestrians (we live in a good walking neighborhood). Pokemon Go is a great cover for her increased slowness and loss of fitness as one naturally walks slower while looking at the phone, and pauses occasionally for one thing or another in the game.

She's still good for walking 3-4 km if there is a couple of shops along the way.

As a guy (52, 5'8", ~230 pounds) I sometimes still think I'm a quick walker because I have to slow down for my wife. But if I try to keep up with young and thin people I quickly realize that I'm on the slow side and rapidly run out of breath at that pace)
4 years

Slowing down

I live a sedentary lifestyle and work a sedentary office job. Since I'm not physically active, and I don't regularly need to deal with stairs, I didn't notice the impact my weight gain was having on my mobility for a long time.

I'm looking at people who noticed changes at 170 or 180, and I feel a bit oblivious about my situation.

I didn't notice how much my weight had slowed me down until I tried jumping across a puddle and landed right in the middle of it. I was about 260 pounds at the time. I was both surprised and annoyed. After some experiments, I learned that I physically cannot jump anymore. Some more experiments revealed that I also cannot run. I just don't have the strength to get any kind of lift. Any attempt to run just results in a quick walk.

Now that I'm 283 pounds, I'm noticing how easily I get out of breath when I take my trash containers out to the curb. I also waddle when I walk. Tying my shoelaces is more and more difficult with every pound I gain.

It has been an interesting experience and, I will confess that the physical limitations/vulnerabilities turn me on quite a bit.
3 years