Food and recipes

High calorie egg nog recipe

Found this online:
tasteofhome.com/recipes/creamy-holiday-eggnog/

413 calories in a serving, but 1 serving is just 3/4 cup- the recipe makes 6 servings or “4 cups.” The math in the recipe appears to be a bit off because if we divide it up into 4 servings each one would be about 1.125 cups with 620 calories each, but realistically, most mugs and glasses hold closer to that than to an actual cup anyway, so functionally it’s 620 calories per regular sized glass, 2478 calories per entire batch. Maybe if you wanted to take it up even further you could substitute some or all of the 4 cups of milk for more heavy cream and/or half and half?

It’s also good that it makes a smaller batch, because that means you can easily double or triple it if you want more, but you don’t have to worry as much about making a ton and having it spoil before you can drink it if you don’t have great capacity (or, if you DO have great stomach capacity but don’t have much room in the fridge, you can chug it all at once and not worry about storage)!

Also worth noting, I’d make it nonalcoholic myself since it’s still a few months until I can buy alcohol legally, but I have read that alcohol stops non-alcohol calories from being used for energy until all the alcohol calories have been used for energy first and so anything else is just stored as fat- if that’s true, spiking the egg nog would make it even more fattening.

I plan to make some when I’ve got time, but I’ve been busy lately and am not sure when that will be. In the meantime, I thought someone else might appreciate it!
4 years

High calorie egg nog recipe

My reading says that alcohol itsele (vs all the stuff we add to it) is generally mot metabolized by the body much at all as leaves the body via urine and sweat pretty much the way it comes in.

Of course, beer, wine, and mixed drinks all contain calories other than alcohol.

I looked a little more and found support for BOW's post, there seems to be some difference of opinion on how much alcohol is actually metabolized by the liver as vs expelled from the body without be metabolized.
4 years