General

Need tips on trying to balance life with desire.

I sometimes think that sex acts as a barometer in a relationship, particularly when that relationship is headed towards going tits up because it’s lost intimacy and stopped meeting important needs for one or both people in it.

Your situation, as I read it, is unbelievably common - if I weren’t such a lazy fuck I’d link to a diagram from a longitudinal relationship satisfaction study, but you’ll have to take my word for it that most are moderate-high, until they have a baby; levels then spend a year plummeting to very low satisfaction. If the couple stays together their mutuel levels of satisfaction steadily rises until it returns to moderate-highly satisfying... in about 18ish years. It also comes with an additional dimension of depth, which I haven’t seen quantified (because I haven’t looked 🤷🏻‍♀️).

If you want to help me test out a theory, (which you totally should because then it’s for science, which is a noble cause 😉): look into what options are available to you to for relationship and/or couples sex therapies are available to you. Then talk to your wife about what you’ve found, and explain why you began looking for help - because you realised your connection is slipping away and you take that seriously enough to do something about it. That fact is far more important than details of the sexual fantasies currently filling in that void for you. And if I’m right about that, then your wandering eyes/heart may look like they’re about sex, but really both are a result of a more intimate dissatisfaction you’re experiencing. Intimacy is built with vulnerability and acceptance, but getting around to those conversations started when you’re each trying to survive parenting and working? Hella hard and unrealistic for tons of couples to fix on their own.

If you want to try something before you call it quits, make it couple’s counselling. Find a sex+/fetish+ one if you want to talk about sex more openly.
4 years

Need tips on trying to balance life with desire.

I've had similar conflicting feelings to you.

My wife and I have 2 young kids under age 3 and we've been together for 10 years.

After having kids, especially the second it got to the point we were spending so little time together, that our relationship was nearly at breaking point.

However, after some changes on her end in parenting techniques to allow the kids to sleep through the night better and how I spend my downtime we have now reconnected and spend 2-3 hours together having dinner and fun before she goes to sleep.

It's all possible but may require you to make some changes, seek counselling, hire a sleep consultant for kids etc.

I encourage you to reconnect with your GF and child as they need you. Man up and start being a partner and father. It's hard but you can do it.

In my case since I've reconnected with my wife she has started unintentionally gaining again quite fast after I sat her down and told her that this is who I am and its not changing, as trying to bury it was impacting my mental health.

She lost a lot of weight after our second child as she probably wanted to feel attractive in case we split up. since things have improved shes gone from about 130 to 155 again and she looks hotter than ever to me!

It's been an amazing turnaround from where we were at 4-6 months ago.

good luck!
4 years