General

At what point do you reach the point of no return?

I've weighed 135 pounds most of my adult life. I told myself I'd gain 20 pounds to see what it felt like, then lose it all. Now I'm 155 but I don't feel very different. My new goal is 175, but I'm afraid if I get there I won't be able to lose the weight afterwards.
3 years

Well the point "of no return " really depends on what you mean. Because if you mean physically, that is when the fat becomes too much so for most 500 pounds and above. Mentally its when you lose motivation or are just to lazy to care.
3 years

Depends on what a "point of no return" means to you. You can stop and maintain your weight or even lose it when you want, but certainly when you get to a certain size that becomes harder.

There's also a mental point where you can get lost in the gaining and lose control of yourself. Just completely give in to the gluttony and euphoria for better or worse. That happened to me and I ended up putting on a total of like 90lbs within a year lol.
3 years

So from my experience there are a few.
The first is the sneakiest because it's the point where you look around and go "I'm still average size, I don't need to diet." The will to lose starts slipping here.
About 50 pounds in you'll reach a point where even if you lose it all you never quite get back to peak condition and have picked up habits that make regaining the weight easy.
The first big one is about 200, it's either the point you look at the number and go "I'm on a diet starting now" or you accept that you're just fat now.
Following that every 50-100 pounds when the thought of dieting comes up and you'll think about it and go "Sure I could stand to lose a little," but each time that goal number isn't as low as it used to be. Sure the ideal would be to see 135 again, but you can't really imagine yourself going under say 225 anymore. Or was it 280? 330? It just creeps up as higher and higher weights start feeling normal.
3 years

I gained quite quickly from 13stone to 15 stone and then after a while, to 20 stone, which was a big change, adding 70lb. I really enjoyed the gain. Then I changed my mind, went down to 15 stone again in about six months. I didn't get hanging skin or anything, but I wasn't happy with it. I didn't feel like me really. So I have loved gaining it all back to the 280lb/20st but then I wanted more and I think there was the point of no return. Now all the foods I buy, like and eat are very high calorie and food is completely bound up in gaining more fat and feeling turned on. Now as I feel myself swallow anything I imagine it filling up my belly and stretching it, and all the food turning to flab and rolls. That mental change I haven't had before and I think it can't be undone and I don't want it to be. Now I've passed 300lb/21st6 I have loads more goals and enjoy how slow moving and waddling I am. I consider that I'm well past the point of no return and this commitment to get bigger and bigger is part of my identity.
3 years

There is no point of no return mentally if you want to loose it you will, but the bigger you get the more consequences it will have on your physical appearance. When your skin stretches out and starts to hang it will not go back, those fat cells remain. Which is why it's so easy to regain weight.
3 years

FatAsButter:
I gained quite quickly from 13stone to 15 stone and then after a while, to 20 stone, which was a big change, adding 70lb. I really enjoyed the gain. Then I changed my mind, went down to 15 stone again in about six months. I didn't get hanging skin or anything, but I wasn't happy with it. I didn't feel like me really. So I have loved gaining it all back to the 280lb/20st but then I wanted more and I think there was the point of no return. Now all the foods I buy, like and eat are very high calorie and food is completely bound up in gaining more fat and feeling turned on. Now as I feel myself swallow anything I imagine it filling up my belly and stretching it, and all the food turning to flab and rolls. That mental change I haven't had before and I think it can't be undone and I don't want it to be. Now I've passed 300lb/21st6 I have loads more goals and enjoy how slow moving and waddling I am. I consider that I'm well past the point of no return and this commitment to get bigger and bigger is part of my identity.

Wow, what an amazing way to put it. Hope you keep achieving and surpassing your goals!
3 years

Pummeluff:
Once you really get consumed by the idea of gaining weight which then gets reinforced by actually gaining weight. The inhibition level might sink to a level where this fetish is inevitably making you gain weight because you just don't want it to stop. I think this could be considered a point of no return psychologically.
At least that's the place where I am at at the moment....

I was searching the forum for something I could relate this exact feeling to, so cheers for that! I’m sort of wrestling/giving into this feeling right now... I never thought I’d get as big as I have - over 340lbs. - and I recognise the not-so-desirable effects it’s having on my mobility, and I’m a bit taken aback by how my face is becoming less recognisable as the one I remember having just a few months ago. Equally shocking is how many times these realisations have turned me on, to the point of craving a reckless abandon kind of Weight gaining.

I’ve settled on one last hurrah, a week or two of drinking cream for several days out of the week. I’m hardly in and already I can feel that these gains are going to be the ones I want to lose, but I need to go just far enough overboard to feel satisfied that I’ve done it. Seen over the horizon of functionally fat, so to speak.

I have absolutely no clue if this will still be the case come this time next month/year/decade though - only time will tell!
3 years

Kimllyy:
I've weighed 135 pounds most of my adult life. I told myself I'd gain 20 pounds to see what it felt like, then lose it all. Now I'm 155 but I don't feel very different. My new goal is 175, but I'm afraid if I get there I won't be able to lose the weight afterwards.

If you're having doubts, it's better not to go down that road in the first place. Your body has a set point and, as you gain weight, that set point is adjusted higher. This means your body will prefer to be at a certain weight and, if you try to lose weight through diet and exercise, your body will tend to regain the weight once you stop dieting.

I'm a perfect example of this. I started gaining weight at 166 pounds. Through a combination of heavy whipping cream and dieting in between gaining cycles, I'm not at 282 pounds.

When I "diet" between gaining cycles, I just eat the same amount and types of foods that I ate at 166 pounds, which is what I normally eat anyway. I rely exclusively on the heavy whipping cream to gain weight.

Thanks to gaining weight, my set point was 260 pounds prior to my current gaining cycle. So even when I returned to eating what I normally at at 166 pounds, my body weight would not drop down below 260 pounds. My body wants to stay at 260 pounds. I would need to try very hard to lose weight and get below 260 pounds.

This is why it's important to be sure. Once you start gaining and increasing your set point, it's very hard to lose the weight and, even after losing the weight, your body will try to return to it's set point. This is why yo-yo diets fail.

As far as I know, the set point only goes up, not down. I hope this helps.
3 years

Kimllyy:

Zora:
If you're having doubts, it's better not to go down that road in the first place. Your body has a set point and, as you gain weight, that set point is adjusted higher. This means your body will prefer to be at a certain weight and, if you try to lose weight through diet and exercise, your body will tend to regain the weight once you stop dieting.

I'm a perfect example of this. I started gaining weight at 166 pounds. Through a combination of heavy whipping cream and dieting in between gaining cycles, I'm not at 282 pounds.

When I "diet" between gaining cycles, I just eat the same amount and types of foods that I ate at 166 pounds, which is what I normally eat anyway. I rely exclusively on the heavy whipping cream to gain weight.

Thanks to gaining weight, my set point was 260 pounds prior to my current gaining cycle. So even when I returned to eating what I normally at at 166 pounds, my body weight would not drop down below 260 pounds. My body wants to stay at 260 pounds. I would need to try very hard to lose weight and get below 260 pounds.

This is why it's important to be sure. Once you start gaining and increasing your set point, it's very hard to lose the weight and, even after losing the weight, your body will try to return to it's set point. This is why yo-yo diets fail.

As far as I know, the set point only goes up, not down. I hope this helps.

Everything that you just said is 100% accurate. I did the exact same regime over a few years. I used heavy cream and short periods of binge eating to get a head start. At first my body was resistant. I would gain a few pounds and then stop. After a while the weight would go away. But I stayed at it and eventually my body gave in and started storing fat more easily. I watched my set points increase.

I would often gain new weight and try to loose it. Eventually I realized that calorie counting no longer worked. At one point I really tried hard and used a weight loss shake to replace meals. I lost 26 pounds in 2 months. Once I stopped the weight came back rapidly within about 6 weeks and I wasn't over eating. My new set point is 250 lbs.

Exercise doesn't work either. I do an hour on my treadmill several days week. Besides for being good for me it increases my appetite. And that pretty much takes care of any risk of temporary weight loss.

At this point I'm at the point of no return and I plan on gaining more weight over time. I think 300-350 lbs would be a fun weight for me.
3 years
12   loading