Fat experiences

Dealing with the heat when fat

Stay inside and eat lots of ice cream...that's how I deal with it lol
3 years

I sweat loads since I gained. Just fairly obvious tips like avoid man made fibres (cotton 'breathes' better), keep in the shade as much as possible and keep drinking ice gold water/ice lollies etc as that will keep your core body temperature lower
3 years

Air conditioning. Light fabrics. Own your sweatiness. And Body Glide for the chub rub.
3 years

Agree with all of the above. You could also wet a towel with cold water and put it around your neck.
3 years

I note you're in the UK.

The lack of AC causes a lot of the issues but, having been to the the carribean a few times with my ex who was over 200lbs at 5'0 I can suggest 2 things in the current heat wave: anti chafing cream and silk.

Fabric choice is a big deal, silk prevents rubbing and helps regulate surface moisture on the skin.

Further to these 2, there's the obvious keeping hydrated, balancing your salt intake to accomodate for increased sweating,

Again looking at native Pacific Islanders, carribean and middle eastern communities where female obesity is more normalised, there is a significant amount of acclimatisation that plays a role in easing the discomfort. Unfortunately the UK doesn't seem to be holding on to the heat past tonight (June 2nd) so sadly acclimatisation, which usually takes 15days for athletes and military personnel on tours, is not likely to happen.
3 years

chubbybutt22:
Air conditioning. Light fabrics. Own your sweatiness. And Body Glide for the chub rub.

Agreed!
I used wear undershirts/layers in an attempt to maybe stop the sweat and help hide some of the bigger parts of me, but that just made me sweat more. Allow yourself to be as comfortable as you need, including sitting down to catch your composer we you need too.
3 years

curvyromanticgeek:
Carry some sheets of kitchen roll with you when you go out, that way you can go to the loo and dry off if you feel too wet, works much better than toilet roll.

Isn't this counterproductive? The purpose of sweat is to evaporate and help you cool down. If you wipe it off, you will overheat faster. (of course there are situations when it's more useful to not look too wet, but still, on average you overheat faster if you are constantly wiping off sweat)
3 years

FatXCX:
Thanks so much for the tips I'm to order on argos right now. Thanks!

All I got out of that post was Argos is open.... How did I miss this? Or is this a new June 1st privilege?!
3 years

Shit, yeah, I’m only chubby right now but I feel so damn hot due to the extra fat.
3 years

As soon as I saw Argos there, I just instantly thought delivery.
So many useful hints there, thank you, I’ve never been great in the heat but it’s harder now, and not going to get any easier lol!
3 years