General

Impact of quitting alcohol on appetite

So everyone talks about drinking alcohol to help gain more weight. I’m here to tell you about the opposite. Stop drinking entirely for a week or two and see what happens.

If you’re like me and drank a fair amount for a period of years you may find suddenly you are absolutely ravenous.

This is quite common for moderate to heavy drinkers who quit. Apparently it has to do with hormones being out of whack and the body adjusting to the new alcohol free environment. In the last week I’ve been effortlessly eating way more than I did even during periods of actively trying to gain. Not great if you like your size but could be a great way to easily pack on some serious poundage.

Disclaimer: if you’re a super heavy user stopping cold turkey risks life threatening withdrawals. No joke. This can kill you. See a doctor before attempting or at least taper off.
3 years

Impact of quitting alcohol on appetite

Hormones “out of whack”? I’m intrigued. Where did you read that?

Alcohol is very high in calories. If a regular drinker suddenly abstains, it’s likely that their appetite for food will increase (mine has, in the past, during periods of abstinence) in order to replace those calories.

Good on you for cutting out the booze. 🏆
3 years