General

Tailors say everyone is getting fat

That makes me feel even better about my weight gain... though I think I’ve gained a tad more than non-feedists despite being an essential worker! LOL! Thanks for sharing that!! :-)
3 years

John Smith:
Much like "Every working class denizen is getting fat!"

The middle upper class and the gentility still had the means to pay out their own home gym and noninvasive slimming therapies, while almost no one amid the socially disfavorized classes has the means to afford themselves a tailor.

Yeah, like I don't think I've even seen a tailor in town. I've seen places offer repairs, and adjustments, but no actual tailors
3 years

John Smith:
Much like "Every working class denizen is getting fat!"

The middle upper class and the gentility still had the means to pay out their own home gym and noninvasive slimming therapies, while almost no one amid the socially disfavorized classes has the means to afford themselves a tailor.

biggirlsok:
Yeah, like I don't think I've even seen a tailor in town. I've seen places offer repairs, and adjustments, but no actual tailors

Very true. It’s cheaper to buy decent trousers at Target than to go to a tailor anyway. Really the only time the working classes go to a tailor is to get a suit fitted; typically a rare occurrence since suits are mostly for weddings and funerals. Personally, I’ve never gone and doubt I ever will as it seems to be a waste of money.
3 years

Shyfeedeeguy:
Very true. It’s cheaper to buy decent trousers at Target than to go to a tailor anyway. Really the only time the working classes go to a tailor is to get a suit fitted; typically a rare occurrence since suits are mostly for weddings and funerals. Personally, I’ve never gone and doubt I ever will as it seems to be a waste of money.

I see tailor shops all over the place. But they perform alterations, not brand new custom fitted clothes.

Unless you don't like what Target has to offer, and I don't think it's really cheaper either. I went to one shop that wanted $17 to expand the waistline on one pair; that's cheaper than any shop.

I don't have good experiences with any polyester content in trousers and thus, avoid them. I remember dealing with horrendous static cling and severe static electricity buildup, which is not pleasant. Oddly enough I haven't had that problem with some shirts. Perhaps the trick is to ensure under 66% polyester content.

Too bad all the bottoms sold at Target and Wal-Mart seem to have high polyester content because it's a cheap material, except for jeans.

I look for high cotton or wool content, perhaps with a bit a spandex for slight stretch if I can.

Paying $14-20 to let it out, assuming there's extra material for that, can be worth it if you just need a couple inches, when the alternative is $50-60+ for new ones.

You can tell if the back seam has a V-shape on the inside. If not, there's no extra material.

But if you expect to need 4+ more inches, you'll probably just need new ones.

If you expect to keep gaining, there might even be something to be said for getting trousers that are too big, taking them in, then letting them out later.

If it wasn't for embarrassment (tailor shops tend to be small businesses so the owner will likely start recognizing you if you go in too much) I might consider this route to save money.

These shops can also be good for attaching suspender buttons (clip style is either unreliable, or the heavy duty clips destroy the fabric). But it's very easy to learn basic sewing. Within half an hour you can complete six buttons on one pair, and it will probably be a better job than what they'd do. The buttons I sew on are stronger than the seams themselves. I've thus never went to a shop for that, always did that myself.

And if I'm not mistaken, I think some dry cleaning shops can also do alterations.
3 years