Gaining

How to increase appetite?

Because of a new medication my appetite is SO much lower. Does anyone know any appetite enhancers to help with this problem?
3 years

I'm very much into cooking. A thing I do when I feel that I'm catching a flu is to cook (if still possible) some chicken soup. So: when I'm completely sick, it's still something I can look forward to.
Let this be a strategy: what are your favourite meals? And (that maybe just me): learn to cook them. From scratch. 1.: you're in full control of what exactly you're eating. 2.: the variety and quality of meals is amazing!
2 examples: pls look for "Tarte Tatin". An apple cake. And I've lately made "Sauce Bolognese".
(Yes: I DID cook it for 6hrs!) Chef John on youtube describes it perfectly: "Foodwishes" and "Bolognese", and you'll find it.
3 years

I take cyproheptadine and it works very well. Mine’s prescribed by my doctor since I used to be super underweight, but if your doctor can’t be convinced that you need it, in some places you can legally buy it over the counter either as an appetite stimulant or an allergy medicine. I haven’t experienced any side effects, although, as with any other medicine, some people do.
3 years

Pharmaceutical-wise, cyproheptadine is extremely effective, but can have side effects and many report that they lose the weight gained by cypro after they stop the medication. You can use digestive aids like papaya enzyme to help you get the most out of what you do eat.

THC definitely helps a bit, especially if the meds are making you nauseous.

My best advice is 1.) eating calorically dense foods like nut butters, cream, fried foods, baked goods as often as you can in whatever amounts you can. 2.) consistently push yourself with each meal. If you let your stomach shrink, this whole struggle gets that much harder. 3.) ditch the water and drink your calories. Whole milk, juice and soda are all your friends. 4.) Keep snacks close, if you can’t stomach full meals. Keep them high in calories. Even when you can’t push yourself, maintenance is key to slow, steady progress.

You have me impressed so far. Keep up the good work.
3 years

Also, I noticed you mentioned most of your gain is going good to your belly. If you’re interested in supplements that can help some of that weight go to your butt and breasts a bit more, I know entirely too much about that.
3 years

I was on cyproheptadine for a while but, aside from some temporary drowsiness, I did not notice any change in my appetite.

I've been able to work around this by just drinking heavy whipping cream on top of my regular diet. I'm drinking 1 and 2/3 quart per day, and this has been much easier for me to do than trying to eat a lot of food.
3 years