Gaining

Preparations to help get fat

As far as I know all it does is increase appetite, but cyproheptadine has been very effective for me and doesn’t seem to leave any residual effects when I go a while without taking it.
3 years

finickyfeedee:
As far as I know all it does is increase appetite, but cyproheptadine has been very effective for me and doesn’t seem to leave any residual effects when I go a while without taking it.

I’ve heard about this. Does it make you sleepy?
3 years

finickyfeedee:

Onlychubby:
I’ve heard about this. Does it make you sleepy?

It’s never made me sleepy, but sleepiness is a well known side effect that a lot of people experience when taking it, so there’s a good chance it might make you sleepy.
3 years

The sleepiness side effect should be similar the Benadryl.
3 years

finickyfeedee:
It’s never made me sleepy, but sleepiness is a well known side effect that a lot of people experience when taking it, so there’s a good chance it might make you sleepy.

Skinny_gig:
How effective is it?
If there is a choice, to spend money on this or on the cream, which one to choose?[/quote]

If it’s down to either the cream or the cyproheptadine, go with the cream for sure. Cyproheptadine will increase your appetite dramatically, but no matter how big your appetite gets it won’t make you gain any weight if you haven’t got anything fattening to eat. As far as I know, there’s just about nothing you can eat that’s more fattening than cream.
3 years

Gainerboi19:
Is there a way to get cyproheptadine OTC? It looks like it’s prescription only in the US.

Unfortunately, it is prescription only in the US. In other countries it is available OTC, though, usually under various brand names. You might be able to order it from another country, but since mine is prescription I haven’t tried to do so.

If you’re very skinny right now, you may be able to get your doctor to prescribe it if you say you’re having trouble eating- I got mine after losing a lot of weight due to my eating disorder and my doctor continues prescribing it even now that my weight is in the normal range for my height (30 pounds heavier than when she first prescribed it). The good thing about getting it prescription is that sometimes your insurance covers it.
3 years

I tried cyproheptadine and, while it did temporarily make me drowsy, I didn't notice a change in appetite.

I'm drinking heavy whipping cream these days, and it works so incredibly well that I don't need to do anything else.
3 years