Gaining

Struggling to gain

It took at least a week for my scale to start showing results. But I started feeling changes after the third or fourth day really. Just be consistent with your high calorie intake and remember how much it takes to add on the weight. No doubt it hard work.
3 years

Struggling to gain

Feedmexoxo:
Hi for the last 2.5 weeks I’ve been eating between 3000-5000 calories and I’ve been unable to gain weight! The past few days I’ve ate a minimum of 4500 calories.

It’s really frustrating, I’ve even introduced weight gain shakes and there has been no change.
My belly does look softer and rounder but I don’t know why the scale isn’t changing smiley

I’m not sure what to do.

Don't expect your gain to be linear. You'll usually find just sticking with the habits that worked before providing you are checking your still consuming at least 500kcal over your required amounts will bring a gain. If you've gained muscle in your legs to support your new size consider that this will increase your rmr and hence you'll need to eat more to maintain.

To "kickstart" another gain, you can try changing patterns. Sleep a little less, fast mornings, glucose bomb before your big meal.
3 years

Struggling to gain

I hit a plateau late last month.

I try to combat this by gaining weight in cycles. I'll gain for a period of 4 weeks, and then take a one-week break. During my break, I'll actually diet to trick my body into thinking that it's starving. That seems to reset things and, once I start gaining again, the heavy whipping cream helps me to break through the plateau.

Once I get past the plateau, the weight gain resumes at a rapid pace. I hope this helps you. Good luck!
3 years

Struggling to gain

last month i drank 600ml of double cream everyday, with 1 day a week as a break for 2 weeks and didnt gain 1lb. this month ive been average 5000 a day, and yet my weight is still the same. im defiantly denying the laws of nutrition here. it makes me really depressed and frustrated
3 years

Struggling to gain

Sir HugALot:
last month i drank 600ml of double cream everyday, with 1 day a week as a break for 2 weeks and didnt gain 1lb. this month ive been average 5000 a day, and yet my weight is still the same. im defiantly denying the laws of nutrition here. it makes me really depressed and frustrated

Did you ensure you didn't drop other consumption due to the cream uptake.
I say this particularly wrt carbs. You could have entered ketosis as my friends brother on keto for his epilepsy drinks loads of cream and eats steak and eggs but no carbs at all. Hasn't gained an ounce but has reduced attacks.

If not, try making a food diary to see if there are gaps. Don't assume all the calories will be absorbed if you just smash cream in one intense session.

There is a limit to what you can absorb calorie wise.

General long day long gorging works with cream added in.

For example, while actively gaining, my wife will open a pot of double cream in the am and gradually add it to each meal and snack. An example day is below:

0800:
3 egg stuffed omlette with 3/4 cup of cream (use some corn starch in the egg mix to solidify the omlette better with the high liquid content)
Wash down with latte made with half cream and half whole milk.

1130:
Strawberries/other berries, crushed meringue, sugar, cream over top

1330:
Pasta with butter cream and vegetables
Cream of vegetable soup

1530:
Slice of cake with pouring cream or hand whipped cream over the top.
Chai made with cream or same latte as breakfast

1830:
Fish pie with mash top. Fish filling made with stock white wine and cream, top is mashed potato with butter, cream, cheese. Cheese crust. Side of spinach with butter or cream. Bread. If hungry another helping of soup as an appetizer.

Ice cream

2030:
Cake slice with cream and a malty cream and milk drink.

A day like his you get through over a pint without noticing and it's in with sugar carbs and fiber and spaced out so the body had time to absorb the calories.

Using cornstarch in dishes with cream, thickens the liquid and holds the fats in well. Also having vegetable sides help keep everything moving ok.

I know it's not as decadent as filling your stomach with heavy shakes but, over a month you can really pack it on using a diet like this.

Again, watch how youre feeling, make sure your body is suited to a diet like this and your health is up to faster gaining.
3 years

Struggling to gain

Sir HugALot:

LondonFA:
Did you ensure you didn't drop other consumption due to the cream uptake.
I say this particularly wrt carbs. You could have entered ketosis as my friends brother on keto for his epilepsy drinks loads of cream and eats steak and eggs but no carbs at all. Hasn't gained an ounce but has reduced attacks.

If not, try making a food diary to see if there are gaps. Don't assume all the calories will be absorbed if you just smash cream in one intense session.

There is a limit to what you can absorb calorie wise.

General long day long gorging works with cream added in.

For example, while actively gaining, my wife will open a pot of double cream in the am and gradually add it to each meal and snack. An example day is below:

0800:
3 egg stuffed omlette with 3/4 cup of cream (use some corn starch in the egg mix to solidify the omlette better with the high liquid content)
Wash down with latte made with half cream and half whole milk.

1130:
Strawberries/other berries, crushed meringue, sugar, cream over top

1330:
Pasta with butter cream and vegetables
Cream of vegetable soup

1530:
Slice of cake with pouring cream or hand whipped cream over the top.
Chai made with cream or same latte as breakfast

1830:
Fish pie with mash top. Fish filling made with stock white wine and cream, top is mashed potato with butter, cream, cheese. Cheese crust. Side of spinach with butter or cream. Bread. If hungry another helping of soup as an appetizer.

Ice cream

2030:
Cake slice with cream and a malty cream and milk drink.

A day like his you get through over a pint without noticing and it's in with sugar carbs and fiber and spaced out so the body had time to absorb the calories.

Using cornstarch in dishes with cream, thickens the liquid and holds the fats in well. Also having vegetable sides help keep everything moving ok.

I know it's not as decadent as filling your stomach with heavy shakes but, over a month you can really pack it on using a diet like this.

Again, watch how youre feeling, make sure your body is suited to a diet like this and your health is up to faster gaining.

Phew I feel enormous just reading this!
Definite words of wisdom - keep a food diary on something like MyFitnessPal, measure and log everything honestly, for a month or so - you should see your weight change in line with what you log. You'll get variations week on week maybe, but a month or so should allow things to even out.
3 years

Struggling to gain

Everybody is different so don't get discouraged.
3 years