Lifestyle tips

Arnold press/rotator cuff

geraldclark:
The other week I re-injured a former rotator cuff injury (I suspect tendinitis but haven't been able to get an official diagnosis), so OHP has basically become impossible. I've been doing some home-rehab which includes a light-weight Arnold press, so I tried replacing my usual OHP (dumbbells) with AP at about 80% of the working weight and experienced no problems. If I press overhead with a strictly pronated grip, my shoulder starts to hurt about half-way up; as I rotate my grip from supinated at around the same height for AP, there's no pain. Why might that be?

So needless to say I'm going to replace OHP with AP for the time being. In doing so, am I at risk for losing shoulder mass in any of the 3 heads? I imagine that AP doesn't hit rears quite as well?

Not the right forum. What was your injury, a muscle tear? Tendon tear? If you're experiencing pain at even 80% of a "working" weight, I would halt any shoulder work, period. Shoulder injuries can be like back injuries – they never go away. Very serious.

What has your doctor said? Steroid injections would heal a tear much faster.
3 years

Arnold press/rotator cuff

Yea, I agree. Any muscle injury really should be handled with caution. Take some time off from that muscle group. It could turn into a more serious injury. If anything use resistanse bands or extremely light weights compared to what you were using before the injury.
3 years